The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Purchasing DVC (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   My Aulani resale experience (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3079124)

e46m3 03-12-2013 05:10 PM

My Aulani resale experience
 
I just wanted to vent about my Aulani shopping experience. I found that buying Aulani was so frustrating. I got ROFR'ed on a 75 pt contract that was subsidized and now I feel like I overpaid on a 170 point contract that I paid $90, paid all dues and has no subsidies. It did have 135 banked points.

Anyway Aulani doesn't have many contracts for sale and most of the contracts for sale have an existing loan on it where the buyer needs the full asking price just to break somewhat even.

Thanks for reading!

G'sMaman 03-12-2013 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by e46m3 (Post 47778818)
I just wanted to vent about my Aulani shopping experience. I found that buying Aulani was so frustrating. I got ROFR'ed on a 75 pt contract that was subsidized and now I feel like I overpaid on a 170 point contract that I paid $90, paid all dues and has no subsidies. It did have 135 banked points.

Anyway Aulani doesn't have many contracts for sale and most of the contracts for sale have an existing loan on it where the buyer needs the full asking price just to break somewhat even.

Thanks for reading!


Thanks for sharing. Can I ask what your closing costs were and did you or the seller pay for it? We need to add 50 more points and I think I will just add on directly since they are offering a $500 credit and will give me the current points for a June use year.

disneynutz 03-12-2013 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by e46m3 (Post 47778818)
I just wanted to vent about my Aulani shopping experience. I found that buying Aulani was so frustrating. I got ROFR'ed on a 75 pt contract that was subsidized and now I feel like I overpaid on a 170 point contract that I paid $90, paid all dues and has no subsidies. It did have 135 banked points.

Anyway Aulani doesn't have many contracts for sale and most of the contracts for sale have an existing loan on it where the buyer needs the full asking price just to break somewhat even.

Thanks for reading!

IMO Aulani has a lot of issues. Subsidized, not subsidized, fixed weeks, points, cash tax, resort design changes and construction and the airfare and flight time to an expensive vacation at a stand alone resort without the benefit of being at WDW. Granted it is a beautiful resort but I have a hard time deciding to buy there.

I also seem to remember reading that a PR release from Disney stated something about it being a DVC property with some cash rooms. My thought at the time was that it was built and owned by DVD, not Disney resorts.

:earsboy: Bill

e46m3 03-12-2013 05:32 PM

Closing cost were $900 and I ( the buyer) paid for all of it.

AddieAidey 03-12-2013 05:34 PM

Don't beat yourself up about it. We were thinking about Aulani and still are for the future. $90 is not that bad though....definitely better than $140! Fidelity has a few in the $85 range and I know 3 contracts passed at $88. Now you get to enjoy Hawaii though :)

e46m3 03-12-2013 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AddieAidey
Don't beat yourself up about it. We were thinking about Aulani and still are for the future. $90 is not that bad though....definitely better than $140! Fidelity has a few in the $85 range and I know 3 contracts passed at $88. Now you get to enjoy Hawaii though :)

Thanks. Another thing about those $85 contracts. They are owned by Japanese sellers. Their response time is not very good or they don't respond to offers at all.

dbs1228 03-12-2013 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AddieAidey (Post 47779015)
Don't beat yourself up about it. We were thinking about Aulani and still are for the future. $90 is not that bad though....definitely better than $140! Fidelity has a few in the $85 range and I know 3 contracts passed at $88. Now you get to enjoy Hawaii though :)



Well said!!! The only time I knew I over paid was when we bought our 1st contract through DVC direct:rotfl2:! The other 3 contracts were a fair price and was what I wanted and the timing was right - oh yea and I got a great deal vs. buying direct!
Enjoy:thumbsup2

e46m3 03-12-2013 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by disneynutz

IMO Aulani has a lot of issues. Subsidized, not subsidized, fixed weeks, points, cash tax, resort design changes and construction and the airfare and flight time to an expensive vacation at a stand alone resort without the benefit of being at WDW. Granted it is a beautiful resort but I have a hard time deciding to buy there.

I also seem to remember reading that a PR release from Disney stated something about it being a DVC property with some cash rooms. My thought at the time was that it was built and owned by DVD, not Disney resorts.

:earsboy: Bill

I get what you are saying. I live 20 minutes from Disneyland so I really don't see myself going to disney world too often and I live too close to vgc to want to stay there. Hawaii is really the only place we would want to go My wife want to stay at 4 seasons so I thought Aulani would be more reasonable for my wallet. :).

G'sMaman 03-12-2013 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by e46m3 (Post 47778996)
Closing cost were $900 and I ( the buyer) paid for all of it.

Yikes! That is almost double the cost of other resorts. We loved Aulani so you can't go wrong either way! :thumbsup2

bwvBound 03-12-2013 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by e46m3 (Post 47778818)
My Aulani resale experience ...

Welcome Home!

If it helps, our buying experience in 2004 was pretty rough too. Gladly now, it is far behind us. I wish you the best with your new toy! Enjoy!

e46m3 03-12-2013 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwvBound
Welcome Home!

If it helps, our buying experience in 2004 was pretty rough too. Gladly now, it is far behind us. I wish you the best with your new toy! Enjoy!

Thank you so much. I still have to pass ROFR first but I don't see a problem with my offer passing.

I have been a long time lurker and find this board so informative.

tjkraz 03-12-2013 11:26 PM

If it makes you feel any better, chances are EVERY subsidized contract will get ROFRed.

The subsidy follows a resale to its new owners. That is, unless DVD exercises ROFR and reclaims the deed. Then they can sell the points again without the subsidy.

One of the leading resale brokers told me they have never seen a subsidized Vero Beach contract pass ROFR. Even if they end up taking a loss on the ROFR, DVD rids itself of the need to subsidize dues for decades to come.

lilpooh108 03-13-2013 02:28 AM

What was the price of the subsidized contract?

You will be hard pressed to find one anyway so don't beat yourself up over it. As an Aulani owner (sub dues), I would never sell my contract (or add on there again). I'd rather just rent out my points each year that I can't make it there...

e46m3 03-13-2013 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilpooh108
What was the price of the subsidized contract?

You will be hard pressed to find one anyway so don't beat yourself up over it. As an Aulani owner (sub dues), I would never sell my contract (or add on there again). I'd rather just rent out my points each year that I can't make it there...

Seller agreed to $80 per point. Buyer paid closing and seller paid 2013 maintenance fee since they already borrowed a majority of their 2013 points. This was for a 75 point contract. Originally seller was asking for $100 per point.

lilpooh108 03-13-2013 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by e46m3 (Post 47784534)
Seller agreed to $80 per point. Buyer paid closing and seller paid 2013 maintenance fee since they already borrowed a majority of their 2013 points. This was for a 75 point contract. Originally seller was asking for $100 per point.

Think about it this way -- you didn't get screwed, the seller did. With a subsidized contract, Disney would have ROFR'ed it anyway. So someone would have eventually paid his asking price just for the subsidized dues. He LOST $1500 just by agreeing to sell it to you. On the flip side you spent $750 more over the life of the contract and never got subsidized dues which you aren't entitled to anyway. He should cry... not you. ;)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:10 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.