The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Purchasing DVC (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   anyone offer more? (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3078715)

kkolbusz1 03-11-2013 10:38 PM

anyone offer more?
 
We're ready to take the plunge! We're going to purchase next year early but with the increase in direct from disney coming later this month, we feared it would drive resale prices up. Put in an offer yesterday but found out it was a foreign seller so it would take longer to close & they needed full price offer, so we're putting an offer on another, but its pretty low per point. Now obviously no one wants to pay more than they have to, but my feeling is that Disney will refuse it. In talking to multiple brokers, they told me Disney rejected 3 this week for $55, 57 & $58. This one is $60. So we're offering above that to try to ensure Disney passes it at ROFR. We know there's no rhyme or reason to how they do this but has anyone else offered more hoping it would get accepted & pass rofr?

KAT4DISNEY 03-11-2013 11:03 PM

People have but not too often.

Is it the absolute perfect contract that you have to have right now and if you miss it you'll have some other cost like missing a booking window or paying cash for a trip? If not then I'd just go with asking or make a lower offer because I've never heard of anyone that can predict what will pass and what won't.

Even back when we were purchasing ROFR was frequent enough that people worried but there still wasn't any obvious rhyme or reason to what contracts were bought back and what weren't. Contracts priced higher would be taken and some priced lower would pass. Stripped, loaded, paying fees, not paying fees - all just a guess.

However, unless something is changing dramatically Disney does not buy back all contracts so some will pass.

If I bid up a contract and it passed I think I'd always be left wondering if it could have gotten it for less.

bwvBound 03-11-2013 11:06 PM

Have you studied the ROFR thread(s) for recently reported results? (I'd take a "Trust with Verify" approach to info supplied by the broker?)

geraghty 03-12-2013 12:29 AM

I find it hard to believe brokers are having clients list their contracts for less than what they think will get rofred. Paying full price makes sense if It's the perfect contract. Anything over asking would be throwing money away IMHO. Plus I would want my contract to be in the middle of the pack so it would not draw any undue attention.

jenbelles 03-12-2013 09:08 AM

We were recently ROFR's at 58. My broker suggested that I stay in the low 60's. I would definitely give 60 a try.

bwvBound 03-12-2013 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jenbelles (Post 47773825)
We were recently ROFR's at 58. My broker suggested that I stay in the low 60's. I would definitely give 60 a try.

But I think this type of response needs to be qualified by which resort/UY is involved. The ROFR threads are a good venue for tracking history.

ELMC 03-12-2013 10:23 AM

There are many variables that factor into whether or not Disney decides to take back a contract through ROFR. Unfortunately, we have no solid information on any of them or how heavily they weigh in the decision. Inferences made based on available evidence suggest that price is a big determining factor. If it makes you feel better to pay more, then do it. Just know that there is no direct correlation that has been established between paying more and having a greater chance of passing ROFR. Everything you read on here regarding the subject is conjecture and speculation. My personal view is to pay as little as I can for a contract. If Disney wants it, they'll take it. And if not, I'll get a good deal. That has led me to purchase four contracts and have six taken back. If you can handle that, then go for it. If not, I would suggest considering a different strategy. Good luck!

MickeyFan612 03-12-2013 10:45 AM

After having been ROFR'd on two SSR contracts last month I've decided to offer more!! I had settled on a great deal for a 300 point SSR contract and am now increasing my price by $900! The contract is still a great deal for me and if my seller was a little more informed I think he would be asking more per point anyways! My thoughts are if I'm happy paying a little bit more and get the contract- GREAT! If I lose the contract then at least the seller got closer to his contract value!

Breyean 03-12-2013 12:18 PM

After two ROFRs on VGC contracts we passed on the third one and are waiting to close.

When I spoke with the broker about making an offer, I was gun shy because of the prior ROFRs and the asking price of $90, with more than 1/2 the current year's points available, worried me.

The agent asked if I wanted to offer more, but I just the asking price.

Turned out great but you never know why some make it through while others don't.

Sandisw 03-12-2013 08:22 PM

I agree that there is just no way of knowing. I recently passed at $95 per point for BLT, Dec UY, with all 2012 points included, and someone's contract for the same price got taken. Mine was only 100 points and theirs was larger and included banked points, so maybe that played a role. But, I think if you are within a $5 per point range around some RoFR figures, you have as good a shot as any!

Good luck!

kkolbusz1 03-13-2013 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kkolbusz1 (Post 47771581)
We're ready to take the plunge! We're going to purchase next year early but with the increase in direct from disney coming later this month, we feared it would drive resale prices up. Put in an offer yesterday but found out it was a foreign seller so it would take longer to close & they needed full price offer, so we're putting an offer on another, but its pretty low per point. Now obviously no one wants to pay more than they have to, but my feeling is that Disney will refuse it. In talking to multiple brokers, they told me Disney rejected 3 this week for $55, 57 & $58. This one is $60. So we're offering above that to try to ensure Disney passes it at ROFR. We know there's no rhyme or reason to how they do this but has anyone else offered more hoping it would get accepted & pass rofr?

Seller accepted our offer. Now we wait for contracts & then on to ROFR. I'm going to get an ulcer! LOL!

abner1776 03-13-2013 11:52 AM

IMHO a few $$$ higher or lower than the asking price is really petty cash...if the asking price is $58 and you are trying to decide on offering $57 or $59 for a 200 point contract....your talking about $400 folks. What is more important is whether you are comfortable with the contract and the resort and whether the contract is full or stripped. THe real cost of owning DVC is not in the price of the contract but its in the annual maintenance fees.

If paying $59 would assure me of not having to worry about ROFR, then the extra $400 is chump change when compared with your total investment in the DVC contract.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:36 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.