The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney World Tips (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Backpacks in WDW - on the rides? (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3072584)

missbossypants 02-28-2013 01:11 PM

Backpacks in WDW - on the rides?

We are heading to WDW in Sept/13 for the first time, with 10 and 7 year olds, so no stroller for us! I feel the need to have a backpack to hold water bottles, sunscreen, and other essentials, but wonder what happens with them while we are on rides? I understand some of the rides we would be fine to bring it with us, but can anyone tell me the protocol on others like roller coasters?

krismom3 02-28-2013 02:38 PM

You can normally for them in by your feet and some rides have a little pouch you can put them in on the back of the seat in front of you. Have fun!!!

Shelly F - Ohio 03-01-2013 10:05 AM

I always put mine by my feet. Or on Soarin there is a net pouch under your chair that you have to put it in. I have never had any issues with my backpack.

kgsmith 03-01-2013 11:52 AM

On rides with no pouch, I always put the backpack on the floor and put my foot through one (or both) straps.

anorman 03-02-2013 08:29 AM

At Universal they require you to use lockers to stow your belongings but at Disney they allow you to take them with you so long as you secure them safely by your feet or in pouches in front of your seat.

PocahontasLookALike 03-02-2013 04:16 PM

I've taken my backpack on every ride at DL and DCA (except GRR) with no problems.

phillymummer 03-08-2013 07:14 PM

I wore a cross-body backpack and just swung it around to the front of my body on every ride (but I didn't do some big rides like SM, EE, Soaring, TT, RnRR so I can't speak for those).

ZoZo 03-08-2013 10:58 PM

You can bring a backpack on any ride, even roller coasters that have inversions (like RnR). I just loop the strap of the backpack around my ankle.

The only ride that might be a problem is Kali River Rapids. It's a very wet ride, and they only have one shared compartment for everyone to use for each group. If that compartment is taken up with other folks' bags, there might bot be enough room for everyone's stuff. I'd recommend bringing a large plastic bag big enough to fit your backpack in - then your pack wont get wet if it doesn't fit in the storage bin.

Wild about Walt 03-10-2013 12:38 PM

Yes, our last trip (April 2012) we had no need for a stroller either. We packed 2 fair sized bag packs with all of our essentials for all 5 of us. The kids had their own little fanny packs and clip on water bottles so I wouldn't always be digging through the back packs for those constant need items.

We went on every ride imaginable :mickeyjum in each park and had no issues with keeping our back packs with us. Most rides you just keep the bag at your feet. Like the last poster mentioned, we had important things like our camera, autograph book, confirmation number printout, lysol wipes etc in ziplock bags. One least thing to worry about when navigating through the parks party:

obx_mama 03-10-2013 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wild about Walt (Post 47756286)
The kids had their own little fanny packs and clip on water bottles so I wouldn't always be digging through the back packs for those constant need items.

Great idea! I knew DD wouldn't want to carry a backpack around all day, but a fanny pack would be perfect!! Thanks!!:)

Wild about Walt 03-10-2013 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by obx_mama (Post 47756432)
Great idea! I knew DD wouldn't want to carry a backpack around all day, but a fanny pack would be perfect!! Thanks!!:)

Some people consider them a little dorky but the kids (DD age 11 and DS age 9 at the time) liked being in control of their own stuff and our 5 year old DS liked having Lightning McQueen on his. :earboy2:

tina.tina 03-11-2013 01:41 PM

We bought a collapsible backpack from the camping section at Walmart. It folds into itself & has a draw cord and was packaged at about the size of a fist. When it unfolds, it's about a rectangle a little more than a foot tall & a little less than a foot wide with one outside pocket on it.

In it, we carried an extra outfit for DS5 in a ziploc bag, small container of sunblock, ziploc bag of wipes, 2 bottles of water some days, ids & extra cash in a ziploc bag, hand sanitizer, bandaids, antibacterial ointment (lots of skinned knees), a flashlight, 2 cameras, a waterproof camping bag, a tiny bottle of bug spray, extra ziploc bags, and glow in the dark bracelets for the kids. It was a also good place to store the maps we picked up along with extra napkins & small purchases. Get a bag with very few zippered compartments because they check them all.

DD10 carried a fanny pack with a tiny bottle of water and her autograph book & sharpie, some of her own spending money, and the quarter tube she used for pressed pennies. Bag checkers checked her bag, too. When she got tired of carrying it, it went into our backpack.

We took that bag on every ride. When we went on Splash & Kali, we put our cameras & cell phones in ziploc bags, put them in our backpack, and put our backpack down in the waterproof camping bag. Everything stayed dry!

dgramling 03-11-2013 09:02 PM

Backpack

I always wear a backpack when in the parks. I carry a camelbak we fill it before we leave the hotel and drink all day long. This last visit I had it loaded with our camera, camcorder, ipad, and tripod. I think I got picked on by every security person at bag check on our trip. But as someone who backpack hikes alot I didn't mind. The only ride I had trouble on was mission space fitting it in the bin was a squeeze and I ended up breaking my sunglasses to bad that was our first day.

ironpig70 03-16-2013 09:54 PM

Not been to WDW in forever but at DL and DCA I was able to do all rides minus the water ones with my pack. I could have taken it with me on them but I didnt wanna get it wet.

I personally love a backpack over the fanny pack. Yeah I carry more but it helps a lot with my kids. Nothing worse than a lost jacket or a kid who doesnt wanna wear it in the morning knowing he will have to carry it come noon.

Jessicalynne 04-10-2013 06:04 PM

It is wonderful to know that backpacks are allowed! Makes things so much easier! :yay: