The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Budget Board (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Vegetable Stock - recipe? (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3064330)

kiki02 02-13-2013 06:04 PM

Vegetable Stock - recipe?

anyone have a quick (ha) and easy vegetable stock?

ty!!!!!

laurafergie 02-13-2013 07:34 PM

This recipe has good reviews and is basically how I make Chicken or beef stock. But it is usually not quick. http://allrecipes.com/recipe/basic-vegetable-stock/

JessB320 02-13-2013 08:32 PM

Not quick, but easy. I call it my free soup lol.
Basically I save the ends and peels of all my veggies in a gallon bag in the freezer. Old rubbery carrots, celery tops and ends, bell pepper middles, onion ends, mushrooms a little past their prime. Then when the bag is full I put it all in the biggest stick pot (10 quarts) I have . I add in a few cloves of garlic a whole onion, salt pepper and some basil or Italian spices.

Fill to the top with water and simmer for 8-10 hours. Way better tasting than any veggie broth I've ever bought

I'm guessing you don't have a bag of veggie lol so id get carrots, celery, onion, garlic and then any veggies you may have in the fridge!

North of Mouse 02-13-2013 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JessB320 (Post 47500529)
Basically I save the ends and peels of all my veggies in a gallon bag in the freezer. Old rubbery carrots, celery tops and ends, bell pepper middles, onion ends, mushrooms a little past their prime. Then when the bag is full I put it all in the biggest stick pot (10 quarts) I have . I add in a few cloves of garlic a whole onion, salt pepper and some basil or Italian spices.

Fill to the top with water and simmer for 8-10 hours. Way better tasting than any veggie broth I've ever bought

I'm guessing you don't have a bag of veggie lol so id get carrots, celery, onion, garlic and then any veggies you may have in the fridge!

This is basically what I do. Just strain, and you have some delicious stock! The one exception for me is I don't add the salt, just wait until after I use it, then salt the dish according to how much is needed for that particular recipe.

kiki02 02-14-2013 04:58 AM

Quote:

YUM. thank you! great ideas. I'm wondering why the poster below doesn't add salt until later....

pixiewings71 02-14-2013 11:29 AM

I wouldn't add salt either but I tend to avoid adding it unless it's absolutely necessary. I have a bag full of veggies, I need to do this....LOL

kiki02 02-14-2013 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pixiewings71 (Post 47505824)
I wouldn't add salt either but I tend to avoid adding it unless it's absolutely necessary. I have a bag full of veggies, I need to do this....LOL

I just don't have the 8 to 9 hours of cooking time. :(

pixiewings71 02-14-2013 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiki02 (Post 47507469)

Good point...I really don't either. lol

ExPirateShopGirl 02-14-2013 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pixiewings71 (Post 47508515)
Good point...I really don't either. lol

This is where a pressure cooker comes in. You can do the same thing in an hour.

SueInBoston 02-14-2013 05:47 PM

Quote:

I'm going to start doing this...Thank YOU!!! I always feel guilty throwing out veggies past their prime.

JessB320 02-14-2013 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiki02

You can do it overnight :) I throw it together right before I go to bed and it's done when I get up. You can also use a crockpot, mine is only 6 quarts so it's not as big as I'd like.

JessB320 02-14-2013 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ExPirateShopGirl

This is where a pressure cooker comes in. You can do the same thing in an hour.

I've been tinkering with the idea of getting a pressure cooker,do you use yours much? What do you like it for?

punkin 02-14-2013 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiki02 (Post 47507469)

A perfectly good veggie stock can be had in about an hour. Veggies give up their flavors pretty quickly. It's bones that need really long cooking times (though I rarely go over 5 hours even with beef bones).

ExPirateShopGirl 02-14-2013 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JessB320 (Post 47509875)
I've been tinkering with the idea of getting a pressure cooker,do you use yours much? What do you like it for?

I use it all the time. You can cook dried beans (soaked or unsoaked) in an hour, make stocks (chicken, beef or veg) in an hour, start to finish, you can can low acid veggies. There's a huge difference in flavor from an hour of simmering on a stove and an hour pressure cooking.

I really like using mine to cook potatoes in large chunks quickly and without boiling them. I can pressure cook a chicken in an hour to use in chicken salad and it's moist and falling off the bone.

There are websites that will give you the timing on pressure cooking just about anything. They save so much time!

pixiewings71 02-15-2013 11:28 AM

I made beef stock last weekend with some fat and scraps from a huge piece of beef I purchased and had cut into roasts, I just put the scraps in the pot and added spices and water and boiled it for a couple hours. There were no bones so I didn't need to do it longer. When I do chicken scraps for chicken stock I cook it for 5 hours minimum. I'm going to do the veggie stock this weekend, but I really should get a bigger stock pot to use.....LOL