The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Budget Board (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   What do you spend for Valentine's Day ? (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3064040)

pocomom 02-13-2013 09:45 AM

What do you spend for Valentine's Day ?

Interesting discussion with friend today, got me wondering what do you spend for Valentines? When kids were in school they would do little treats for friends, and a small gift for teacher such as homemade treat, mug with hot cocoa, plant we planted in a handpainted pot, maybe $5 worth. My husband buys each of the kids a little chocolate, maybe $5 and he and I exchange candy, maybe I might get flowers. This year we decided to exchange no more than $20 dates along the lines of dvd and popping corn, groupon to restaurant, etc. I'm actually making him some massage oil among other things, since we don't want the candy in the house.
My friend is getting her husband a $500 watch. He buys her equally expensive jewelry. I have no desire to make V-day a stressful, expensive holiday for us, but was just wondering if this was the trend?

luvmy3 02-13-2013 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pocomom (Post 47493500)
Interesting discussion with friend today, got me wondering what do you spend for Valentines? When kids were in school they would do little treats for friends, and a small gift for teacher such as homemade treat, mug with hot cocoa, plant we planted in a handpainted pot, maybe $5 worth. My husband buys each of the kids a little chocolate, maybe $5 and he and I exchange candy, maybe I might get flowers. This year we decided to exchange no more than $20 dates along the lines of dvd and popping corn, groupon to restaurant, etc. I'm actually making him some massage oil among other things, since we don't want the candy in the house.
My friend is getting her husband a $500 watch. He buys her equally expensive jewelry. I have no desire to make V-day a stressful, expensive holiday for us, but was just wondering if this was the trend?

For as long as I remember people have been known to give expensive jewelry or other gifts to their SO on Valentine's Day.
I don't spend a lot on V-Day gifts, maybe $50 on dh and under $20 on each of the kids.

scrapquitler 02-13-2013 10:15 AM

We aren't big on Valentines Day here. I spent about $20 on a bunch of candy for DH and both kids. Dh took me out to dinner last night (going on Valentines Day is too crazy and extra expensive), but we do that about once a week anyway. So our budget, about $20.

Priorityonecb 02-13-2013 10:16 AM

We've never been big Valentine's Day people. We give our girls a bit of candy and a small gift, around $10 each. We always do belgium waffles with fresh strawberries for dinner. Very simple here.

PollyannaMom 02-13-2013 10:16 AM

It's not a big-budget holiday for us eother. Just mushy cards, or maybe a small, sentimental gift.

pocomom 02-13-2013 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luvmy3 (Post 47493631)
For as long as I remember people have been known to give expensive jewelry or other gifts to their SO on Valentine's Day.
I don't spend a lot on V-Day gifts, maybe $50 on dh and under $20 on each of the kids.

I know I have ocassionally recv'd jewelry or something, but in general we make it cheap and easy- My friend said the expensive gifts are the norm now in her circle of friends (different city), and she felt like it was a status thing for her dh... we have similar annual incomes and similar spending habits otherwise.

EagleScout 02-13-2013 10:26 AM

we go pretty low-key for v day- trying to avoid candy because both of us plan to be in "swimsuit" shape for upcoming May Disney trip, so maybe a card- my wife specifically told me not to waste money on flowers (but I frequently get them for her "just because" when not V day). and we are a family that gives lots of gifts, just not on this day.

akcire 02-13-2013 10:29 AM

I bought my 2 year old a Mylar balloon

I got my husbands copy of sky fall 007 movie

All in $22

gillenkl 02-13-2013 10:30 AM

My kids are older so they don't have any in school activities. I bought them each a costume for their Duffy bear, a movie size box of candy and a book. DH and I don't usually do anything - we are spending 3 nights at AKL in August and that will be in lieu of any holiday/birthday gifts this year.

ManyMinnie 02-13-2013 10:35 AM

I spent about $20 a piece on the kids and around $100 on DH.

I don't know what he is getting me.

dryvithome 02-13-2013 10:36 AM

I know people who go all out for VD, but we don't spend very much. At best a card for each other, if we even do that. This year, maybe a text message. :rotfl2: But that's how we've always participated in Valentine's. Had the kids make a card last year, and will probably do that again. Cardstock paper we have on hand, and making hearts is good practice for their little hands. Regardless of what others are spending, it doesn't affect us. Hope you enjoy your Valentine's! :thumbsup2

wiigirl 02-13-2013 10:45 AM

My kids get a small heart box of chocolates and a stuffed bear.

My DH gets to take me out for dinner in the new dress I bought. :rotfl2:

mward73 02-13-2013 10:45 AM

The kids are only 3 and 6, so not much - maybe $20 total, excluding dinner. I got the valentine's cards for the 2 classes last year for 90% off. After Christmas this year, I got cute plates (red and white), napkins, tablecloth, etc for 90% off at Target. I went to the dollar store and picked up champagne flutes (apple juice for the kids, but they think it's funny to get to drink out of these). Also got 5 boxes of candy (2 kids, DH, bus driver and teacher) for $1 each. Picked up some Ninja valentine decorations for $4. Got each of them a card (dollar store).

That's really all they get. It's more of a "fun" day for us - we decorate the table with cute stuff and have a nice dinner. I did get a little pot of tulips for the table ($3) and DH and I are having a really nice dinner (that I cook) but we don't do big gifts.

Watch, this will be the first time ever that DH comes home with a gift, but normally, this is all we do. lol

lisaross 02-13-2013 11:01 AM

My husband would go expensive i tell him not to - but he'll probably get me dozen roses/ or flowers etc. I told him all i want is for him to pick up my favorite dinner - its just a fast food place LOL

I buy my husband Godiva Chocolate every year - spend about $20.

My boys i spent 20.00 for a pillow pet for my younger son and my older son got him a soft fuzzy blanket he wants for about 13.00

VirataMama4 02-13-2013 11:12 AM

We don't really celebrate Valentine's day in my house, since it's my birthday. :headache: I do tend to get DH and the kids something small with a card.