The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Rumors and News (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Monster's University Extended Preview: (Edit 2/11 - Plot synopsis + trailer!) (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3061868)

skier_pete 02-09-2013 12:35 PM

Monster's University Extended Preview: (Edit 2/11 - Plot synopsis + trailer!)
 
Link on Youtube is Here.

This is the first time I've really heard a plot synopsis of the film. It actually makes me a bit excited as it looks like it could be a fun story.


EDITED Feb 11th: Link that includes the new trailer added HERE.

pigletto 02-09-2013 02:29 PM

Thank you for sharing! It looks awesome. :goodvibes

DRDISNEYMD 02-11-2013 01:35 AM

~Yay!!!
 
~I wasn't sure how Pixar would pull off the "University" aspect, but I love the plot! Monster's Inc. has a completely different vibe than Monster's U! I especially adore Boo (she's so cute), and the connection she shared with Sulley -- just from the small parts I gleaned from Monster's U, I don't expect to see Boo or this kind of heartfelt emotion. I totally agree that the plot for the sequel appears to be more "fun" & "comical." I can't wait to see it, as there is *nothing* at the cinema for families right now!!! :( :goodvibes

skier_pete 02-11-2013 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRDISNEYMD (Post 47469477)
~I wasn't sure how Pixar would pull off the "University" aspect, but I love the plot! Monster's Inc. has a completely different vibe than Monster's U! I especially adore Boo (she's so cute), and the connection she shared with Sulley -- just from the small parts I gleaned from Monster's U, I don't expect to see Boo or this kind of heartfelt emotion. I totally agree that the plot for the sequel appears to be more "fun" & "comical." I can't wait to see it, as there is *nothing* at the cinema for families right now!!! :( :goodvibes

Yeah, I think Monster's Inc. is great and I was all for the idea of a sequel, but I was NOT looking forward to the prequel idea.

But I sort of love that they decided to go with a "Snobs vs Slobs" / "Animal House" / "Revenge of the Nerds" type-plot. To me, the key to a successful prequel is that since you are stuck with a story that you already know the ending of (in this case: Mike and Sully as friends and partners @ Monster's Inc.) what you need to do is get the story to that point in a way that is NOT what you would expect.

Everything I see about this movie seems unique to the first movie, expands the monster world with lots of new characters, and will hopefully be entertaining. As you point out, without Boo, they're still the heart and emotion piece that might be missing - it will be hard for them to tug our heartstrings with the fact Sully isn't going to be a scarer when we KNOW that he in fact is - so I don't expect it to be as good as the original, but it still could be a good time.

As you say, there doesn't seem to be a lot of decent family fare this year - though our family will also be looking forward to Despicable Me 2 - though so far the ads for that give me little hope. The original movie was funny partly because of the minions, but was great because of the "family" that formed with Gru and the orphans. The trailers so-far are all-minion, and while funny and appeal to my daughter, don't really appeal to me.

SP

Pumbaa7287 02-11-2013 07:57 AM

Archie the Scare-Pig should already be nominated for a best supporting actor oscar, and if he's not, it will be a crime against monstrosity.

Looks great!

pigletto 02-13-2013 04:05 PM

:lmao:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pumbaa7287 (Post 47470624)
Archie the Scare-Pig should already be nominated for a best supporting actor oscar, and if he's not, it will be a crime against monstrosity.

Looks great!

I laughed out loud when Archie the Scare-Pig appeared on the screen. He's awesome:thumbsup2

DRDISNEYMD 02-19-2013 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skier_pete (Post 47470530)
Yeah, I think Monster's Inc. is great and I was all for the idea of a sequel, but I was NOT looking forward to the prequel idea.

But I sort of love that they decided to go with a "Snobs vs Slobs" / "Animal House" / "Revenge of the Nerds" type-plot. To me, the key to a successful prequel is that since you are stuck with a story that you already know the ending of (in this case: Mike and Sully as friends and partners @ Monster's Inc.) what you need to do is get the story to that point in a way that is NOT what you would expect.

Everything I see about this movie seems unique to the first movie, expands the monster world with lots of new characters, and will hopefully be entertaining. As you point out, without Boo, they're still the heart and emotion piece that might be missing - it will be hard for them to tug our heartstrings with the fact Sully isn't going to be a scarer when we KNOW that he in fact is - so I don't expect it to be as good as the original, but it still could be a good time.

As you say, there doesn't seem to be a lot of decent family fare this year - though our family will also be looking forward to Despicable Me 2 - though so far the ads for that give me little hope. The original movie was funny partly because of the minions, but was great because of the "family" that formed with Gru and the orphans. The trailers so-far are all-minion, and while funny and appeal to my daughter, don't really appeal to me.

SP

~Thanks for the update, I loved it! I don't think this will top the original, but it will still be a hit! I can't get into Despicable Me -- I caught bits & pieces of the film -- overall it looks like a great movie and the ophan sisters are just adorable. I don't know where the G movies are, but I am looking forward to seeing Land of Oz. :wizard: :goodvibes

skier_pete 02-19-2013 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRDISNEYMD (Post 47561543)
~Thanks for the update, I loved it! I don't think this will top the original, but it will still be a hit! I can't get into Despicable Me -- I caught bits & pieces of the film -- overall it looks like a great movie and the ophan sisters are just adorable. I don't know where the G movies are, but I am looking forward to seeing Land of Oz. :wizard: :goodvibes

I want to see that too..but my wife seems against it, so I don't know if I'll have to wait until its on video.

I was quite surprised how good Despicable Me was, and our DD got into watching that about a zillion times for a few months, and I never really got sick of it. Unusual for non-Disney animated fare, but it really is quite charming. I have very low hopes for the sequel though.

DRDISNEYMD 02-21-2013 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skier_pete (Post 47562592)
I want to see that too..but my wife seems against it, so I don't know if I'll have to wait until its on video.

I was quite surprised how good Despicable Me was, and our DD got into watching that about a zillion times for a few months, and I never really got sick of it. Unusual for non-Disney animated fare, but it really is quite charming. I have very low hopes for the sequel though.

~I definitely understand Mrs. skier_pete's concerns. I have to give Disney credit, they have been quite diligent in cautioning viewers on how intense some of the scenes may be for the younger audience. I wish they would have done this with Brave! Anyway, I'm looking forward to the reviews, if I feel it's too intense, I will also wait. :goodvibes


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:15 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.