The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Coping and Compassion (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=149)
-   -   PLEASE HELP! Sick kid. Cruise leaves tomorrow. (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3061687)

DCLMOM13 02-09-2013 01:38 AM

PLEASE HELP! Sick kid. Cruise leaves tomorrow.

First, I have DCL insurance.

We arrived here 2 days ago. On the 2nd leg of our flight my daughter started vomiting. We thought it was air sickness. She hasn't stopped vomiting for 2 days. We had disney send a medical person to our room last night. They said its a virus. She was looking Perkier and stopped vomiting yesterday around 11am. Slept all day. Now it's 1-2am and its started again.

No brainier our dream vacation of a lifetime is hooped. Cruise is not happening.

But now I'm freaking out. I just read DCL insurance and I am not sure we are covered. Apparently until 12:01 today (the trip. Departure date) if she was sick and seen by a medical professional it's now a pre-existing condition. Also imagine my shock to find out this insurance only covers costs for the cruise only. Not our flights,etc like a normal insurance company. I'm quite livid. I have saved 2 years for this $5000 vacation and only the $3200 cruise portion is covered, but with the legal fine print is it? I'm exhausted, crying, can't think straight. I'm stuck with a sick kid at a Disney resort in the middle of the night by myself.
What should I do? Am I going o lose all our hard earned money on this technicality? Any help from people who have been in this situation?

Deluzy 02-09-2013 01:55 AM

So sorry to hear that...poor little thing. :(

If you did not purchase your air through DCL, then sadly, it is not covered. Hopefully the airline will work with you on getting home for minimal cost.

As for your cruise, call DCL as soon as you know it is a no-go. You still make a claim with their insurer (s/b allianz). If you are denied, DCL will allow you to use your cruise rate towards another date.

Hang in there.. And best wishes for a speedy and full recovery.

DCLMOM13 02-09-2013 05:37 AM

So I'm stuck in Florida with a sick child? What do I do? I'm at a deluxe resort but can't stay here longer budget wise. I can do 100 a night so o I have to move this sick kid to another resort? I'm alone and worried :(. Any words of encouragement out there? I am leaving the decision until 730am when we planned to get up. I can't believe DCL insurance has screwed me over. I thought they would cover everything. I'm really sad.

TLSnell1981 02-09-2013 06:30 AM

:hug:

DCLMOM13 02-09-2013 06:32 AM

Am I best to get her to port and let them deny us and go from there? We have private transport so won't get ppl sick on a bus.

lorimay 02-09-2013 06:38 AM

Hey is your little girl feeling this morning?
Has the vomiting stopped?

My heartbreaks for you both.

cleophus12 02-09-2013 06:43 AM

Hope she's feeling better and you have some answers. Things generally look better in the light of day. This is no help to you now but this is why I never buy insurance directly from any cruise line. Their insurance protects themselves and not the customer so much sometimes. Please let us know how things are today.

momof2minnies 02-09-2013 06:46 AM

Fingers crossed for you. I hope you are able to go-even if you end up quarantined in your room it is better than not going.

Linda

DCLMOM13 02-09-2013 06:46 AM

Yeah 2 years of saving and screwed over by Disney. I thought they took care of their customers and apparently not. She just had a shower but feeling ill. No vomiting since 11am yesterday but very weak and nauseous. I just don't know what to do? Take her to port and get denied so insurance is easier? Limo is non refundable at this point byway.

lorimay 02-09-2013 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cleophus12 (Post 47450548)
Hope she's feeling better and you have some answers. Things generally look better in the light of day. This is no help to you now but this is why I never buy insurance directly from any cruise line. Their insurance protects themselves and not the customer so much sometimes. Please let us know how things are today.

I guess I have always had a false sense of security when I have purchased Disney Insurance.
Can you tell me who you choose when you cruise please?
Is it less expensive to purchase away from Disney?

Thanks,
Lori

Labdog 02-09-2013 06:48 AM

If she's not vomiting now and does not have a fever wait and board as late as you can.

lorimay 02-09-2013 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DCLMOM13 (Post 47450564)
Yeah 2 years of saving and screwed over by Disney. I thought they took care of their customers and apparently not. She just had a shower but feeling ill. No vomiting since 11am yesterday but very weak and nauseous. I just don't know what to do? Take her to port and get denied so insurance is easier? Limo is non refundable at this point byway.

Has she has any liquids?
She is probably dehydrated, poor baby.
ASk her is she can even try some ice chips.

I have had these horrible bugs so many times. :(

Docmom 02-09-2013 06:50 AM

So sorry this is happening. First, most stomach viruses last 3-4 days so she may be at the end of it. How is she feeling today? If it lasts longer I'd suggest you have her seen again. Don't know Disney cruise policy regarding showing up at the port and being denied....but that may be an option if your daughter can handle the bus ride to PC. If not talk with the hotel and explain your situation. They may be able to help in some way. Hope things get better soon!

DCLMOM13 02-09-2013 06:59 AM

Problem is she is so weak and blah she isn't going to enjoy the cruise. $3200 for her to sit in a stateroom for 2 more days until she is 100% is a total waste.

kristinanderic 02-09-2013 07:05 AM

I was nearly in this same situation last week. I was very fearful our vacation was over. My son wasn't 100% the first day, but he noticeably got better. Push the fluids.