The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Purchasing DVC (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Best Time of Year to buy DVC Resale (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3049177)

melindaPR 01-17-2013 10:40 AM

Best Time of Year to buy DVC Resale

I'm wondering if any of you have noticed a better time of the year to look for and find good resale contracts. Maybe it's towards the end of the year, as MF are approaching for owners? Or, do you think it varies based on UY? It doesn't seem like there are as many contracts right now as other times of year, but I haven't been watching the resale market long enough to recognize a pattern. Just curious if any of you have noticed a time of year when more owners are deciding to sell their contracts.

Smile&Nod 01-17-2013 12:06 PM

I have 3 contracts and am about to list two of them - my timing reason was that I used one of the two for a vacation starting 1/27. You can't settle on a contract until after a booked vacation so that is why I waited. A lot of the owners authorize monthly debits out of their bank accounts for the fees so i only pay mine 1/12th at a time so I don't know if that factors in. If other folks are waiting until after they take vacations using the points then less people vacation in the winter so maybe less available? Just a thought.

puffkin 01-17-2013 12:26 PM

Just from my observations, a lot of people tend to buy contracts with their income tax refunds/annual bonuses, so it seems March-May are busier buying times. We are actually looking at purchasing right now and hoping to get a good offer in before the tax refund checks come out!

BrerNashville 01-17-2013 12:59 PM

I'd be surprised if there's any consistent rhyme or reason to it. DVC people travel a little differently than other Disney goers (ever try to get ressies 7 months out for the first two weeks of December, an otherwise "off" season?) but there's still enough to fill most weeks.

Two of the most common reasons for selling -- can't afford the financing, or you realize you simply don't (want to) travel to Disney as much as you thought you would anymore, can spring up at any time.

bakenatj 01-17-2013 08:24 PM

I would say that there is a spike in contracts for sale when MF are due. So end of December and the month of January. So if you are looking to buy now is a good time.

melindaPR 01-17-2013 08:51 PM

Interesting insights. Assuming our contract makes it through ROFR (30 days, including weekends and holidays, is next Friday!), I won't be in the market for at least a few years. It is cool to get perspectives on pro DVC owners, sellers, and buyers who have been watching these listings for longer than I have. Thanks!

GOOFY D 01-17-2013 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bakenatj (Post 47224877)
I would say that there is a spike in contracts for sale when MF are due. So end of December and the month of January. So if you are looking to buy now is a good time.

That's what I had heard, but have not seen it this year.

a742246 01-18-2013 08:00 AM

Prices have been inching upwards this past year, so until Disney starts to sell GF, prices will probably remain stable.. What I noticed though the best time to buy loaded or fully loaded contracts are mid year (you may have a better chance of seller paying MF too).

DougEMG 01-18-2013 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bakenatj (Post 47224877)

That's what I always thought, but it doesn't seem to be happening this year. If anything prices seem to be a little bit higher this year then this time last year. And definitely less supply of BWV contracts.

Caren90 01-18-2013 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DougEMG (Post 47231570)
That's what I always thought, but it doesn't seem to be happening this year. If anything prices seem to be a little bit higher this year then this time last year. And definitely less supply of BWV contracts.

I believe this is completely a supply (or lack thereof) issue. Fewer contracts seem available.
Stephen

bakenatj 01-18-2013 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DougEMG (Post 47231570)

I agree that this year there doesn't seem to be a ton of contracts on the market. I did just agree on one and waiting for the contact to sign so it can go to ROFR. Got a 150 BLT for $83 pp. I paid MF seller paid closing. It was my UY which seems to lacking in BLT contracts lately. I am happy with it.

amypetecar 01-20-2013 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DougEMG

Oddly, BWV are selling relatively cheap in the mid-50's

amypetecar 01-20-2013 08:52 PM

I think listings go up when new membership fees are announced... People on the bubble about selling see the increased rates and put their contract on the market.

Dsnrunner 01-30-2013 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bakenatj (Post 47232443)
I paid MF seller paid closing. It was my UY which seems to lacking in BLT contracts lately. I am happy with it.

I am about to make an offer on a resale at BWV. You stated that the "seller" will be paying the closing cost. Is this common? or is this something which must be negotiated with the seller and broker?

ELMC 01-30-2013 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dsnrunner (Post 47360028)
I am about to make an offer on a resale at BWV. You stated that the "seller" will be paying the closing cost. Is this common? or is this something which must be negotiated with the seller and broker?

Anything can be negotiated. However, in the far majority of cases the buyer pays the closing costs. You will get more mileage negotiating the price per point as buyers tend to find it less offensive, for lack of a better word. Good luck!