The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   DVC Member Services (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=89)
-   -   New dvc website and ie7 issues what's up nothing from disney!!!! (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3048691)

jontez 01-16-2013 01:04 PM

New dvc website and ie7 issues what's up nothing from disney!!!!
 
Cannot log on to new DVC website using IE7 at work and home. Nothing from our great friends at Disney what is the darn deal!!!

OrangeCountyCommuter 01-16-2013 01:16 PM

You were expecting the new website to work? Really? It's Disney's IT shop. This is what you get routinely! Expecting them to care is another falacy. Try some new browsers...In thier view it's going to be YOUR issue! (My email address has a . that's a problem for Disney. they think I should change my email to assist them LOL!)

erionm 01-16-2013 01:43 PM

I believe Microsoft will be dropping support for IE7 sometime this year. They've released two newer versions of IE already and there are better browsers you can download (at least at home).

Minniemoomoo 01-16-2013 02:26 PM

I thought it was just me. So glad to see others are also having issues with the new website. Hopefully, it will be repaired soon.
:rolleyes1

erionm 01-16-2013 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minniemoomoo (Post 47210798)
I thought it was just me. So glad to see others are also having issues with the new website. Hopefully, it will be repaired soon.
:rolleyes1

Why fix something for a browser that has almost reached it's end of life? The new member website works under IE9, Chrome, Safari and Firefox. Pick one and download the most current version of it.

OrangeCountyCommuter 01-16-2013 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by erionm (Post 47211086)
Why fix something for a browser that has almost reached it's end of life? The new member website works under IE9, Chrome, Safari and Firefox. Pick one and download the most current version of it.

Well because my office is still on ie7 and we can't download to our office machines. And we are not alone. Lots of companies are this way.

DougEMG 01-16-2013 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jontez (Post 47209797)
Cannot log on to new DVC website using IE7 at work and home. Nothing from our great friends at Disney what is the darn deal!!!

Same problem here. Totally annoying.

And this is the same group that wants to roll out the MyMagic with the FP+ stuff. Good luck :scared1:

jontez 01-17-2013 07:26 AM

Fixed the problem at home as I had to go in and change my compatibility views which I should not have had to do, but again, who am I to insist that the developers test and ensure it works without the member having to become technical. Anyway, cant change IE7 at work, so I will not be able to do anything during office hours unless I call member services which I thought with all the new functionality of the website they were trying to reduce call volume. Oh well,

bwang123 01-17-2013 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrangeCountyCommuter (Post 47211744)
Well because my office is still on ie7 and we can't download to our office machines. And we are not alone. Lots of companies are this way.

Your company better think about upgrading. Comapnies like Google are already dropping support for IE8 on their online applications and have already dropped it for IE7 and IE6. Its not just a Disney thing. Why continue to test and build your website around a browser that is already 2 versions behind and will be 3 as soon as IE10 goes live?

tjkraz 01-17-2013 07:58 AM

As someone who works in the IT world, I am completely with Disney on this one.

IE7 was released 6 years ago and currently produces only 2% of all web browsing traffic. It is two releases out of date.

As a developer, you have to draw the line somewhere. IE7 has technological and security limitations which impact the entire site design if supported. Many legacy cites will continue to support it but when you're building a new site from scratch, you don't let such out-of-date technology impact design decisions, nor do you invest significant resources into supporting older tech. Particularly not when other options are readily--and freely--available.

This isn't the last compatibility issue you will encounter. Google doesn't even officially support IE8 on its web platforms anymore. Contact your IT department and find out what their timeline is for upgrading.

OrangeCountyCommuter 01-17-2013 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwang123 (Post 47217394)
Your company better think about upgrading. Comapnies like Google are already dropping support for IE8 on their online applications and have already dropped it for IE7 and IE6. Its not just a Disney thing. Why continue to test and build your website around a browser that is already 2 versions behind and will be 3 as soon as IE10 goes live?

I appreciate your unsolicted advice. There are reasons we have not upgraded. I don't think they really need to be discusssed on here.
But they include the fact that our major payor, the US Goverment, has some applications they won't bother to upgrade. So if we want to be PAID we need to stay on a system they use.

tjkraz 01-17-2013 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrangeCountyCommuter (Post 47218060)
I appreciate your unsolicted advice. There are reasons we have not upgraded. I don't think they really need to be discusssed on here.
But they include the fact that our major payor, the US Goverment, has some applications they won't bother to upgrade. So if we want to be PAID we need to stay on a system they use.

Although you typically cannot install multiple versions of Internet Explorer on the same machine, other web browsers easily coexist with IE.

One approach they should consider is rolling-out Firefox, Chrome or another browser in conjunction with IE7. Unfortunately these compatibility issues with IE7 are only going to increase over time.

CarolMN 01-17-2013 09:29 AM

IE7 probably works just fine for what you need to do for your job. I suspect your employers prefer that you not conduct personal business at work using their resources. ;)

My employer has blocked access to most non-work related bulletin boards, including the DIS. :( (I'm off today).

Disbroads 01-17-2013 10:25 AM

I can not for the life of me get the site to load in Netscape 1.1
I tried rebooting and everything. Tried portrait, landscape and diagonal.
What am I doing wrong?

bwang123 01-17-2013 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Disbroads (Post 47218819)
I can not for the life of me get the site to load in Netscape 1.1
I tried rebooting and everything. Tried portrait, landscape and diagonal.
What am I doing wrong?

format your hard drive and install windows 3.11 for workgroups.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:19 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.