The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Purchasing DVC (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Questions about making an offer (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3041623)

buckeyejennifer 01-04-2013 07:23 PM

Questions about making an offer

Hi Everyone!

We are current DVC owners and are interested in buying some resale points. We have found a contract that we like and are interested in making an offer. The contract only has a few points remaining for 2013 and full points for 2014. If we offer the asking price (which we think is fair), would it be reasonable to ask that the seller pay 2013 dues (since they've already used the majority of the points AND the points will have been due long before the process is completed)? Would it be also worth asking them to pay closing costs? This is all new to us, so I thought I'd ask the experts before moving forward. Thanks! :goodvibes

ELMC 01-04-2013 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckeyejennifer (Post 47084234)
Hi Everyone!

We are current DVC owners and are interested in buying some resale points. We have found a contract that we like and are interested in making an offer. The contract only has a few points remaining for 2013 and full points for 2014. If we offer the asking price (which we think is fair), would it be reasonable to ask that the seller pay 2013 dues (since they've already used the majority of the points AND the points will have been due long before the process is completed)? Would it be also worth asking them to pay closing costs? This is all new to us, so I thought I'd ask the experts before moving forward. Thanks! :goodvibes

Fair is in the eye of the beholder. Don't be afraid of offending anyone, or hurting anyone's feelings. If you think the seller should pay 2013 fees and closing (you gave some very good reasons) then build that into your offer. The worst they can say is "no" at which point you will need to reevaluate how much you want this contract. Good luck. :)

JimMIA 01-04-2013 07:36 PM

Couple of comments:

First of all, if you offer the listing price, as-is, you should have purchased the contract. I'd do much more due diligence than that, but that is the baseline.

In a resale purchase, I think you'd be perfectly reasonable to ask them to pay the dues for the points they have already used -- or for all the current year points if they are past their banking deadline. Those points are zero value to you.

(Technically...that is NOT how dues are apportioned, nor is it what dues pay -- but in the resale context, dues usually go with points YOU are getting the use of.)

Closing costs are generally paid by the purchaser, not the seller. Could you negotiate for that? Sure, EVERYthing is negotiable in a resale. But would you want to lose the deal because of the closing costs? Maybe, maybe not.

The key to a resale transaction is getting the contract you want at a price you are willing to pay. Don't lose sight of that objective by laser-sighting minor negotiating points.