The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   disABILITIES! (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   new entrance at mk (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3034472)

disney david 12-18-2012 04:50 PM

new entrance at mk
 
Here a pic of the new rfid entrance at mk i think it speed up the entrance for everyone if done right.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-m...1024/image.jpg

Talking Hands 12-18-2012 05:09 PM

Interesting but since you don't see someone using it, it is hard to say it will work well for those of use in PWC/ECV.

I Love Pluto 12-18-2012 05:18 PM

Have they tried it yet? It looks like it would definitely speed up the entrance process.

However, how will they know if I lent my ticket to someone else? Does RFID have a device for actual ID? I like the look - and the idea of the process! :thumbsup2

disney david 12-18-2012 05:21 PM

I meant since their no gate or machine more people would be able to use it and the gusset in te pec would not have to wait for the gate to be opened. They are also testing or have tested a new exit system where camera count you so you wouldn't have to go through the turn style.

disney david 12-18-2012 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I Love Pluto
Have they tried it yet? It looks like it would definitely speed up the entrance process.

However, how will they know if I lent my ticket to someone else? Does RFID have a device for actual ID? I like the look - and the idea of the process! :thumbsup2

Good point but as you see the cms have devices that will tell them if the ticket good or not plus you still have to put your finger on the scanner. Not sure if they are still pitting stickers on tickets or have they been issuing the new tickets.

I also see in the future even though they haven't said it once they switch all turn styles to these. Giving the cms a portable device where they could scan the ticket and finger to speed up the line even more. And be able to help guest who might not be able to reach the device. But we have to see what happens I think it a step forward and they can and will make changes if needed

disney david 12-18-2012 05:40 PM

here more pics at mk and other parks with people using them


http://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions/...arks/17760.htm

mmouse50 12-18-2012 05:47 PM

Didn't notice any RFID entries last week when I was there - they did have a few more entries for cast members than in the past - but there were CM's using a handheld for scanning tickets and the people in those lines were moving pretty quickly, I don't believe that the scan tickets were using a finger scan though - just the ticket scan. The rest of the lines were the finger scan and insertion of the ticket.

disney david 12-18-2012 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmouse50 (Post 46952215)
Didn't notice any RFID entries last week when I was there - they did have a few more entries for cast members than in the past - but there were CM's using a handheld for scanning tickets and the people in those lines were moving pretty quickly, I don't believe that the scan tickets were using a finger scan though - just the ticket scan. The rest of the lines were the finger scan and insertion of the ticket.

i think they went live this week and they do have the finger scanner on them.

A Mickeyfan 12-18-2012 05:59 PM

they are cute looking! I think it will speed up the process of going thru for all guests. I cannot count how many times people try to walk thru the turnstile and it stops on them, not to mention those in wheelchairs and those with strollers. Once they scanned, they had to wait for the gate to be opened up for them to proceed in. I am thrilled these are going live! I will be in the parks from Dec 28th to Jan 4th, and I can't wait to see/use them :goodvibes

thanks for the link too!

disney david 12-18-2012 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A Mickeyfan
they are cute looking! I think it will speed up the process of going thru for all guests. I cannot count how many times people try to walk thru the turnstile and it stops on them, not to mention those in wheelchairs and those with strollers. Once they scanned, they had to wait for the gate to be opened up for them to proceed in. I am thrilled these are going live! I will be in the parks from Dec 28th to Jan 4th, and I can't wait to see/use them :goodvibes

thanks for the link too!

I hope when you go you get on hm without any problems.

sokerfrog 12-18-2012 09:46 PM

I like the idea of this. I think it will speed things up at the gates, but how will it keep somebody from just walking in? Like shoplifters that work in pairs...what keeps one person from distracting a CM and another just walking right in?

disney david 12-18-2012 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sokerfrog
I like the idea of this. I think it will speed things up at the gates, but how will it keep somebody from just walking in? Like shoplifters that work in pairs...what keeps one person from distracting a CM and another just walking right in?

What will keep them from doing it is under cover security and ocso deputy's plus they will put extra cms out their for awhile plus when they get to fast pass they won't be active. They also gave the cms devices so they can see when and if the ticket is scanned when helping other guest out plus if a cm has to help a guest they could signal another cm to watch. If it becomes a huge problem I am sure they will have to install something in the middle to keep people walking through. I also think they might have to put up a sign saying something like entering with out scanning your ticket will result in arrest or something in Disney lingo just to keep those few people in check. But signs and security don't always stop people so if someone wants to cheat Disney they will find a way and Disney will just have to try and keep one step ahead of them.

SueM in MN 12-18-2012 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I Love Pluto (Post 46952078)
Have they tried it yet? It looks like it would definitely speed up the entrance process.

However, how will they know if I lent my ticket to someone else? Does RFID have a device for actual ID? I like the look - and the idea of the process! :thumbsup2

The current tickets don't have a device for actual ID.
The number on the ticket links to a file in the WDW computer. That is where all the actual information (like the finger scan for ID) is stored.
The ticket is just the way to access that file. So, it doesn't matter how the ticket is scanned.

I do think this will speed things up - no putting the ticket in wrong. No waiting for the gate to open.

bookwormde 12-19-2012 04:51 AM

I used the prototype at EPCOT last year, and it was clear that it was much better and faster even then.

As for cheats, I am sure the gate area has cameras trained on it with someone watching for people trying to sneek through.

SueM in MN 12-19-2012 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bookwormde (Post 46954551)
I used the prototype at EPCOT last year, and it was clear that it was much better and faster even then.

As for cheats, I am sure the gate area has cameras trained on it with someone watching for people trying to sneek through.

There might also be other things that are not visible, similar to the way that self-service checkouts work in stores. They know how many items you have passed through to your bag from the cart.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:18 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.