The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   DVC-Mousecellaneous (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=119)
-   -   When is it customary to tip bell services? (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3031503)

tripletsmama 12-10-2012 10:03 AM

When is it customary to tip bell services?
 
When they unload the bags from your vehicle? When they deliver them to your room? Both?

disneynutz 12-10-2012 11:32 AM

Bell Services doesn't unload your vehicle, those folks are from a outside contractor as are the Valets. The vehicle unloaders are not allowed to take luggage to your room, they trade off to Bell Services in the luggage room.

In this case we get to tip twice.

:earsboy: Bill

gmboy95 12-10-2012 11:59 AM

I always have tipped when the bags arrive in my room......we usually stay at OKW, so we can just drive up to our room.....but we do have an owners locker that is delivered

ToddyLu 12-10-2012 03:05 PM

:) We tip when unloading and when they bring to the room. I figure the guys unloading are organizing our stuff to keep it safe (they are also storing our groceries). So we usually tip one dollar per suitcase per trip out or in. I have also tipped the valet who calls a taxi for us--just seems the right thing to do and they are always Johnny on the spot. We always add that in to our budget and carry an envelope of 50-$1.

We also leave at least $10 for mousekeeping on T&T day and Check out.

bumbershoot 12-10-2012 03:33 PM

I tip the people who touch my bags. So that means the people who take my bags and then deliver my bags.

Hopefully 12-10-2012 04:26 PM

I also tip each person who touches my bags. I tip at least $1/bag and often round it up, so it is more than that.

tripletsmama 12-10-2012 10:59 PM

Thanks all! The fact that the people outside and bell services are separate is good information to have.

Dean 12-11-2012 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tripletsmama (Post 46894080)
When they unload the bags from your vehicle? When they deliver them to your room? Both?

I'd suggest you look at a number of etiquette sites where you'll find the usual and customary is to tip at the final destination of the bag. That they've made it more complicated and involved multiple groups is an issue for them to deal with, not the customer. Worst case scenario is it works like the usual for valet (standard is to tip on pick up only), where one group gets paid one direction and the other on the opposite direction.

BirdsOfPreyDave 12-11-2012 11:57 AM

Maybe I'm a hard-liner, but I don't view Disney's decision to outsource the front portico of the resorts to a separate contractor to be my concern. I tip when the bags arrive in my room. If the bellmen and vallets have a method of pooling tips, that's great. If they don't, I'm very sorry but I'm afraid it hasn't changed the way I do tips.

When we're leaving, I'll tip the bellman who picks up the bags, as I'll generally walk with him/her to the car.

If we're switching resorts for a split stay, I'll tip both the bellman who picks up the bag and the bellman who delivers them to the new room. In that case, I don't view double-tipping as inappropriate because I'd never expect tips to be pooled across resorts.

disneynutz 12-11-2012 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BirdsOfPreyDave (Post 46902817)
Maybe I'm a hard-liner, but I don't view Disney's decision to outsource the front portico of the resorts to a separate contractor to be my concern. I tip when the bags arrive in my room. If the bellmen and vallets have a method of pooling tips, that's great. If they don't, I'm very sorry but I'm afraid it hasn't changed the way I do tips.

When we're leaving, I'll tip the bellman who picks up the bags, as I'll generally walk with him/her to the car.

If we're switching resorts for a split stay, I'll tip both the bellman who picks up the bag and the bellman who delivers them to the new room. In that case, I don't view double-tipping as inappropriate because I'd never expect tips to be pooled across resorts.

The common practice of tipping when the bags are delivered to the room is one of the reasons that Disney outsourced the car unloading job. The unloaders weren't getting many tips.

Ever wonder why DME luggage can be delivered to your room when no one is there but other luggage deliveries require that an adult be present in the room? It's all about the tips, DME includes the tips as part of the contract.

:earsboy: Bill

kendzee94 12-11-2012 01:03 PM

So what if I schlep my carryons to bell servivices

kendzee94 12-11-2012 01:06 PM

So what if I schlep my carryons over to bell services while I'm waiting for my room? Or waiting for ME, then come back and get them a few hours later, do you tip both when you get and receive bags? Or just once?

Brian Noble 12-11-2012 01:47 PM

As Dean mentions above, most etiquette sites will tell you you tip when you *get* the bags, not when you *give* them. So, if you drop your carryons with Bell Services, and pick them up (or have them delivered) later, you'd tip on pick up/delivery, not drop off.

I tend to follow the "tip on pick up" rules for both valet and bell services, with one exception. When I have Bell Services come pick up my Owners Locker, I tip them for that service. I also tip more generously for a delivery to my room than if I'm picking them up at the Bell Services desk.

Dean 12-11-2012 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Noble (Post 46903689)
As Dean mentions above, most etiquette sites will tell you you tip when you *get* the bags, not when you *give* them. So, if you drop your carryons with Bell Services, and pick them up (or have them delivered) later, you'd tip on pick up/delivery, not drop off.

I tend to follow the "tip on pick up" rules for both valet and bell services, with one exception. When I have Bell Services come pick up my Owners Locker, I tip them for that service. I also tip more generously for a delivery to my room than if I'm picking them up at the Bell Services desk.

First a Disclaimer, I despise both the system that has generated tipping and having anyone mess with my things. I try to avoid both whenever possible and legitimate. Call it a minor phobia if you want. I also try to either avoid housekeeping in the room or be there when they're cleaning. However, one cannot always avoid them and I'm not afflicted enough such that I can't deal with it. My approach in general is I tip to a standard and if there are reasons to vary from that standard (up or down), I do so. Maybe it's raining or the bags are particularly heavy or any one of a number of other variables. A couple of examples, my wife and I commonly share a meal and we often have discounts or coupons. Both situations where I would routinely give more for good service. I know some people come from areas where they are more required to tip up front or there are repercussions, that's not tipping it's extortion but I know it happens.

KingRichard 12-11-2012 06:21 PM

I don't tip people!


It's not nice to push people over!:rotfl:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:22 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.