The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Community Board (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   The Duchess of Cambridge is pregnant.... (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3028695)

mrsklamc 12-03-2012 10:23 AM

The Duchess of Cambridge is pregnant....

Not Kate Middleton. For as obsessed as the media is with the royals, you'd think they could get her name right.

Tuffcookie 12-03-2012 10:26 AM

What happy news. And yes, I wish the media would quit calling her Kate Middleton too!

TC :cool1:

FlightlessDuck 12-03-2012 10:36 AM

So I had to look it up to make sure that Kate Middleton is The Duchess of Cambridge.

Princess Diana was always called "Princess Diana" in the press. You never really saw her called "The Princess of Wales", or even "Diana, Princess of Wales", at least in the United States.

Although I guess calling her "Duchess Catherine" would be the equivalent of "Princess Diana".

The Mystery Machine 12-03-2012 10:38 AM

I have been waiting for that announcement!!! Good news indeed.:yay:

SaraJayne 12-03-2012 10:48 AM

I just read that. Congrats to both of them. Their families must be so excited and happy for them. :)

crashbb 12-03-2012 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlightlessDuck (Post 46842535)
So I had to look it up to make sure that Kate Middleton is The Duchess of Cambridge.

Princess Diana was always called "Princess Diana" in the press. You never really saw her called "The Princess of Wales", or even "Diana, Princess of Wales", at least in the United States.

Although I guess calling her "Duchess Catherine" would be the equivalent of "Princess Diana".

At least, in this case, The Duchess of Cambridge was called Kate Middleton at some point in her life. Diana never was (and never would have been) Princess Diana.

Happy for the couple. Hopefully they are just being really, really over cautious by admitting her to the hospital.

mrsklamc 12-03-2012 11:12 AM

Why wasn't Diana the princess? I didn't know that.. I'd actually heard that Camilla is now technically the princess but doesn't use the title in deference to the people's love of Diana.

I just find the persistence in calling her Kate Middleton so bizarre. Even w/o her title, that's no longer her last name. I don't know of any other married woman who chose to change her name and had people persist in calling her by her maiden name.

PrincessShmoo 12-03-2012 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsklamc (Post 46842798)
Why wasn't Diana the princess? I didn't know that.. I'd actually heard that Camilla is now technically the princess but doesn't use the title in deference to the people's love of Diana.

I just find the persistence in calling her Kate Middleton so bizarre. Even w/o her title, that's no longer her last name. I don't know of any other married woman who chose to change her name and had people persist in calling her by her maiden name.

Diana wasn't A princess (as in being royal herself). She was "The Princess of Wales" since she married the Prince of Wales (a position she was put in by marriage).

:cutie:

suzimar57 12-03-2012 11:35 AM

good news - that will be one extraordinarily happy event in england!

lorimay 12-03-2012 11:37 AM

I am so happy for them!!!!

I suffered from hyperemesis with both my pregnancies. Its awful. I lost 25 pounds with each pregnancy.

I hope she feels better soon, she cannot afford any weight loss.

DebbieB 12-03-2012 11:37 AM

Sarah Ferguson was usually called Sarah Ferguson instead of the Dutchess of York. They really don't have a last name. William goes by William Wales in the military.

Christopher Robin 12-03-2012 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo (Post 46842912)
Diana wasn't A princess (as in being royal herself). She was "The Princess of Wales" since she married the Prince of Wales (a position she was put in by marriage).

:cutie:

Does that mean Cinderalla wasn't a princess, either?
:upsidedow

ETA, on the baby. They know what causes that now. Congrats.

mrsklamc 12-03-2012 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DebbieB (Post 46842980)
Sarah Ferguson was usually called Sarah Ferguson instead of the Dutchess of York. They really don't have a last name. William goes by William Wales in the military.

I heard their last name was Mountbatten-Windsor.

BeachGirlFLA 12-03-2012 11:46 AM

Awesome news!

crashbb 12-03-2012 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsklamc (Post 46842798)

To be Princess Diana (or whoever) one has to be born a Royal. If you "marry in", you are Diana (or whoever), Princess of Wales (or wherever).

Have the changed the rules of succession, so that this baby will be 3rd in line regardless of the gender? I know that there was talk of doing so, but not sure if it happened.