The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   DVC Resorts (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   Changing to plane dishes !!! (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3024161)

LoveRafiki 11-21-2012 09:27 AM

Changing to plane dishes !!!
 
Staying in AKL Kidani Village --- housekeeping just came in and is switching out the themed plates to plane white ones.... now, truth be told, the bowls were too small -- but at least it was all African themed... now it is boring white.

It is a cost cutting measure.... all dishes the same... oh well.

tjkraz 11-21-2012 09:35 AM

Sad reality is that some owners have a habit of absconding with anything unique which isn't bolted down in the villas.

If this is a cost-related move, it's not just about the cost of replacing due to breakage--it's about the replacement cost involved in restocking the "souvenirs" which end up in people's luggage, trunks and Owner's Lockers.

Chuck S 11-21-2012 09:46 AM

All the resorts are going to this generic white dinnerware. It is OK, I guess, but I really preferred the size/shape of the original Fiesta Ware bowls at OKW. Otherwise, a plate is a plate.

LisaS 11-21-2012 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck S (Post 46759592)
It is OK, I guess, but I really preferred the size/shape of the original Fiesta Ware bowls at OKW.

The new bowls are terrible! I measured the capacity of the plain white bowls at BWV and they hold exactly one cup of liquid if you fill them to the brim. If you normally use one cup of milk with your cereal, there is no room for the cereal. Who chooses the dinnerware? Presumably it is someone who doesn't eat cereal or soup.

I was sad when I heard the Fiestaware was being replaced but even sadder to hear the dinnerware at AKV is gone too since it was unique.

dvcterry 11-21-2012 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LisaS (Post 46759711)
The new bowls are terrible! I measured the capacity of the plain white bowls at BWV and they hold exactly one cup of liquid if you fill them to the brim. If you normally use one cup of milk with your cereal, there is no room for the cereal. Who chooses the dinnerware? Presumably it is someone who doesn't eat cereal or soup.

Oh no! This is sad. :sad2: Size matters.

stmize 11-21-2012 10:06 AM

At okw now and the all dishware is plain white.

bwvBound 11-21-2012 12:18 PM

LOL ... the subject really had me wondering why DVC was switching to airline-themed dishware! (I figured they'd been stealing a little on each flight and now installing their stash in the villas?) ;)

helenk 11-21-2012 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwvBound (Post 46760608)
LOL ... the subject really had me wondering why DVC was switching to airline-themed dishware! (I figured they'd been stealing a little on each flight and now installing their stash in the villas?) ;)

:lmao: I thought the same thing I thought when I read the thread starter, that the dishes had planes on them. Reading further I realized it was plain dishes.

Sammie 11-22-2012 11:27 PM

Pretty much what TJ said, it was due to so many pieces being carried off.

Anything unique or interesting seems to disappear, so they went with generic white. I wish they would simply make those that take them pay for them and not punish the rest of us. :(

I was at least hopping for something with some color to them.

Longhairbear 11-23-2012 04:54 AM

I recall reading that guests were taking the books that used to be in the villas at OKW for guests to read when it first opened. And so, no more books stocked on the shelves in each villa.
There are bathrobes stocked at VGC, and if you take them they charge you for them. At Paradise Pier they have Beach Ball pillows on the beds, if you take them, you get charged for them.

Chuck S 11-23-2012 07:25 AM

I wish they would charge for damaged/missing items at the WDW resorts...but at the same time I can see people contesting it with their CC companies. Plus the time needed to check for every single item or piece of dinnerware, and then decide if it is theft or normal wear and tear would likely be cost prohibitive...requiring much more housekeeping staff and upping our dues considerably.

Brian Noble 11-23-2012 10:24 AM

The new bowls *are* small---very small. We noticed that too last month at BCV.

KAT4DISNEY 11-23-2012 01:56 PM

Maybe I'm just being a sap in thinking that the vast majority of people would not take the dishes. And any minority that did before will still take the dishes. Unless Disney can confirm that they now replace less I'd call it inconclusive why things disappeared - breakage, guest theft, employee theft.

And there are lots of interesting options that are as inexpensive as the generic plateware. But Disney has been getting a bit lazy in this area IMO. (all in the name of warehouse storage I thought). I also liked the theming and ambiance that was added with these little touches.

I don't think I'll miss the particular bowls they had at AKV though - those were tiny!!! Although it sounds like the new ones are not much better. I do miss the Fiestaware and also will miss the green dinnerware at VWL. :( :( :(

jpeka65844 11-23-2012 02:39 PM

Exactly why DVC will never get KEurigs, which would be SO cool.

Can u imagine how many of those things would walk away?

Sammie 11-23-2012 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KAT4DISNEY (Post 46771807)
Maybe I'm just being a sap in thinking that the vast majority of people would not take the dishes. And any minority that did before will still take the dishes. Unless Disney can confirm that they now replace less I'd call it inconclusive why things disappeared - breakage, guest theft, employee theft.

And there are lots of interesting options that are as inexpensive as the generic plateware. But Disney has been getting a bit lazy in this area IMO. (all in the name of warehouse storage I thought). I also liked the theming and ambiance that was added with these little touches.

I don't think I'll miss the particular bowls they had at AKV though - those were tiny!!! Although it sounds like the new ones are not much better. I do miss the Fiestaware and also will miss the green dinnerware at VWL. :( :( :(

I am sure storage was part of the equation too, as the dishes are the same as in room dining uses.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:49 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.