The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Purchasing DVC (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   If we do a small add-on of points... (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3021060)

vdub322 11-13-2012 03:45 PM

If we do a small add-on of points...
 
...is it best to add to your total at the resort you already own? We own 160 points at AKV, and if we want to add 50 or so points is it best to do it there? There are other resorts we would be interested in, but would it make any sense to just own 50 points at a different resort?

I guess what I'm saying is...those 50 points would be the only points that have an 11 month advantage at the other resort, so unless we want to book split stays (or shorter visits) at 11 months, they won't benefit us, right? Or is there a benefit I don't know about to a small contract elsewhere?

Thanks so much in advance for all your expert advice!

MEK 11-13-2012 04:01 PM

I think it really depends on your preference. If you want a specific resort and you want to borrow 50 points and bank 50 points and use them every three years, then it has its advantage. Or even 100 points every other year. For example - owning at BCV or BWV for F&W.

I have 200 points at SSR and added 100 points at VWL. I do like having the 11 month advantage at VWL for holiday stays. Since I bought through resale I was pretty limited in what I could get with my use year. When I saw a reasonable 100 pt contract I just snatched it up.

I do find it more confusing to tract my points. I can't do it in my head any more.

drusba 11-13-2012 04:24 PM

As noted above, you could use those 50 as 100 or 150 if you borrow and/or bank and don't go to that resort every year. Personally, I would not even consider buying at a second resort until I had enough points at the first resort to book a 1BR and preferably a 2BR for at least a week annually.

dvcterry 11-13-2012 04:33 PM

before you do the add-on ask yourself a long-term question, would you possibly do another add-on after that or how many points to suit your vacationing needs.

If you believe it would benefit to add-on the 50 points at your current home resort and that those points may be enough, then you've answered your question.

If you would like to venture out and start with a small contract at another resort with the booking advantage at the home resort, then you may want to try new contract elsewhere. In the meantime, as pp mentioned, the 50 point add-on would only allow you a small number of points booking advantage unless you bank or borrow.

After 7 months, points are all points so therefore it would not matter where you own.

vdub322 11-13-2012 04:48 PM

Thanks! This is such great and helpful info. Our 160 points is getting us pretty far because we like to go in January, over our wedding anniversary. We like a 1 BR for the four of us. For this trip coming up, we had used our 11 month advantage to book a 2 BR value for 6 nights at AKV, but then decided to try a new resort and changed to BWV 1 BR standard view for 7 nights. So we are finding options with our small amount of points.

I get what you are saying about the banking and borrowing for every three years, but a contract of 50 points probably wouldn't buy much every three years if we go during a different time...say in October for F&W...so I see how I might not see much benefit in "branching out" until the NEXT add on :thumbsup2

undchefreak 11-14-2012 08:50 AM

The very begining of F&W this year was in the same season as January, Adventure season, and the remainder of the event was in the next step up, the Choice season. Assuming that the dates are in line with this years event, you can get exactly 4 days in a 1 BD over a weekend in BWV standard view in the Choice season (using 2013 points calendar). 3 years worth of points would give you two more days with a few points left over. I've never been to F&W personally, but a 4-6 night Disney stay sounds magical to me. (If you're hoping for the premium view, it would be 3 nights over a weekend, and 5 days would be 155 pts.)

BCV is more expensive, and 4 days over a weekend would be 153 point in a 1 BD.

vdub322 11-14-2012 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by undchefreak (Post 46705454)
The very begining of F&W this year was in the same season as January, Adventure season, and the remainder of the event was in the next step up, the Choice season. Assuming that the dates are in line with this years event, you can get exactly 4 days in a 1 BD over a weekend in BWV standard view in the Choice season (using 2013 points calendar). 3 years worth of points would give you two more days with a few points left over. I've never been to F&W personally, but a 4-6 night Disney stay sounds magical to me. (If you're hoping for the premium view, it would be 3 nights over a weekend, and 5 days would be 155 pts.)

BCV is more expensive, and 4 days over a weekend would be 153 point in a 1 BD.

That is a very good point! I forget that September is the same as January and that F&W starts in September. I have personally never been, but I really would love to go! And if DH and I could get away for a long weekend without the kids, we would only need a studio... Now the wheels are turning... :scratchin

papamouse1 11-14-2012 05:48 PM

Almost more important then whether to buy same resort points (all advice has sounded solid to me), you need to make sure you buy an addon with the same UY. If you have 2 UY's, it complicates things... I know, I bought an addon and LOVE having 2 resorts but dealing with different UY has been a pain

dvcterry 11-14-2012 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by papamouse1 (Post 46709827)
Almost more important then whether to buy same resort points (all advice has sounded solid to me), you need to make sure you buy an addon with the same UY. If you have 2 UY's, it complicates things... I know, I bought an addon and LOVE having 2 resorts but dealing with different UY has been a pain

This I also have to agree with. It's just one less thing to manage. Once you have different UY you have different banking deadlines. You will have two membership numbers.

vdub322 11-17-2012 07:10 AM

I agree about the use year, and that is a very important factor to us. We currently have a September use year. Does it help at all to get the use year at least *close*? Like buying an August UY in an add on?

Dean 11-17-2012 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vdub322 (Post 46730072)
I agree about the use year, and that is a very important factor to us. We currently have a September use year. Does it help at all to get the use year at least *close*? Like buying an August UY in an add on?

In general I don't mind having a different UY, but I wouldn't do so for a small contract. You lose much of the benefits of having 2 different UY and you pick up more hassles with a smaller contract than you would a bigger one. I'd wait for the right contract, buy retail or buy a larger contract before I'd buy a smaller one of a different UY as a stand alone.

vdub322 11-17-2012 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean (Post 46730131)
In general I don't mind having a different UY, but I wouldn't do so for a small contract. You lose much of the benefits of having 2 different UY and you pick up more hassles with a smaller contract than you would a bigger one. I'd wait for the right contract, buy retail or buy a larger contract before I'd buy a smaller one of a different UY as a stand alone.

I'm so torn...if we buy direct from Disney we are guaranteed the same use year and get the points fast, but can only buy 50 points or so (I think we would probably stick with the same home resort). If we buy resale, we have to wait longer and might not have the same use year, but we can afford 100+ more points. Decisions, decisions...

Thanks for all the help and advice, everyone!

DizBub 11-17-2012 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vdub322 (Post 46730179)
I'm so torn...if we buy direct from Disney we are guaranteed the same use year and get the points fast, but can only buy 50 points or so (I think we would probably stick with the same home resort). If we buy resale, we have to wait longer and might not have the same use year, but we can afford 100+ more points. Decisions, decisions...

Thanks for all the help and advice, everyone!

Personally, my first instinct would be to go for more points. But, don't forget to factor in the extra MFs for the future. While we can afford to buy more points, it's the yearly MFs that give us pause. Good luck with your decision!

dvcterry 11-17-2012 08:10 AM

My suggestion would be to contact the resalers and go on their list so you will get emails when your UY and point range become available. Waiting really is the hardest thing to do when looking for the right resale contract. As tempting as it might be to rush and buy one in another UY, one may be posted for sale in the near future and a perfect contract is well worth the wait. :)

Dean 11-17-2012 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vdub322 (Post 46730179)
I'm so torn...if we buy direct from Disney we are guaranteed the same use year and get the points fast, but can only buy 50 points or so (I think we would probably stick with the same home resort). If we buy resale, we have to wait longer and might not have the same use year, but we can afford 100+ more points. Decisions, decisions...

Thanks for all the help and advice, everyone!

IF you truly need that many points, I'd go resale. Your OP suggested you were looking more at 50. For a 100 or more and a different home resort, it's still nice to have the same UY but not absolute. Some that travel to different resorts different times of the year are actually better off with different UY but most are better if they're all the same. However, it's not as important as it was a few years ago due to the change in the timing of banking.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:01 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.