The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Purchasing DVC (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   How many people buy resale? (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3012893)

karebear06 10-25-2012 06:41 AM

How many people buy resale?

How many people do you think own resale vs direct through disney? We are here now and wanted to see the model rooms to aulani. I thought the model rooms were open for members during certain times (at least they were in the past). Well instead we had someone take us to look at them. He was our new guide since our old guide had not contacted us since 2009. He was telling us everything about us as well as when we bought resale and for how much. He then said not to be embarrassed about buying resale. So that makes me wonder. How many people do you think buy resale vs direct? Do they always look you up to see if you bought direct? Are resale dvc members treated differently? Our new guide is super nice, and I really wanted to add on points, but I can't justify paying $40 more a point buying direct. We might wait and see what incentives they have through VGFR.

davedmaine 10-25-2012 07:10 AM

We bought resale and I can't really understand why anyone would buy directly from Disney. I bought at BWV for about half the price of Disney's original asking price. I know we can't apply our points to crusies, Adventures, etc., but everyone says to not use points on those anyway. I can't say we've ever been treated differently by Disney -- in fact any of the salesmen we've run across (in parks, resorts) have commented that we did the right thing.
We don't have a guide and honestly, I don't know what they're supposed to do for a member. Sell you more points? I basically do everything online and if I have any questions, I call MS.

amypetecar 10-25-2012 07:32 AM

Sometimes direct makes sense, but not usually.

I bought direct 2 1/2 years ago and heres why:
I wanted BLT and resale prices were only $15 or so below direct prices
BLT contracts had a 160 point minimum at first, but i wanted around 100. They lowered the minimum direct, but you couldnt find a 100 point blt resale
We made the decision to buy dvc after committing to a vacation, so we didnt have time to go through the resale process or else we would have dropped 3K on a hotel on that trip. We wanted that 3K to go towards our dvc principle.

In todays market though, unless you want to hold out for grand floridian, i would imagine resale would almost certainly be the way to go.

chalee94 10-25-2012 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karebear06 (Post 46542299)
How many people do you think own resale vs direct through disney?

probably most people are resale buyers. disney has to sell all the pts directly the first time. after that, they pick up inventory from ROFR and foreclosures to resell as direct pts...but aside from a handful of BCV owners who accepted a lowball offer from DVC a few years ago, most of the time when an owner decides to sell they do so through resale channels.

the only time i talked to a guide, they didn't realize i was a resale buyer (i guess they didn't track it at that point). i doubt they would treat you differently (except if you tried to book a cruise or disney collection hotel).

since disney decided to get more adversarial with owners with the new resale rules, i have a difficult time recommending buying direct...

Chic 10-25-2012 09:46 AM

I purchased my first DVC contract direct while taking a Disney Cruise. The remaining 4 contracts I purchased were all resale. Why did I purchase my first contract direct? Because I didn't know resales existed! :rotfl2: I also bought all of my resales before Disney added the restrictions so I was Grandfathered in and have full benefits. How would I buy now? I would absolutely buy resale. The few restrictions in place now are not a good value for points anyway when you compare points versus maintenance fees costs for what you get. Simply stated, you would spend less in cash as opposed to the number of points required for the other vacation options. It's always a much better value to use your points to stay at a DVC Resort. That's okay with me because we bought so we could stay on property in Deluxe accommodations when visiting the Disney Parks.

dvcterry 10-25-2012 10:12 AM

Op, I think it is great that you have a nice guide. We do too. We have our contracts direct with the exception of one. Our biggest regret is not buying VGC direct when we had the opportunity. Now the direct waitlist is very long and there is a very big demand as well resale. And getting a reservation is very difficult. :worried:

disneynutz 10-25-2012 10:29 AM

IMO there are more direct buyers than resale. According to Disney sources, half of the direct buyers are new owners and the other half add-ons with the direct buyers buying the larger contracts of course. So far in 2012 Disney has sold more than 15,000 contracts.

Most people who buy are impulse buyers and they never visit the internet to even learn about resales and Disney Guides don't volunteer the information. They are ready with several reasons why buying direct is better than resale including the March restrictions, the delays in closing a resale contract, (now almost 70 days), and the discounts and marketing perks of buying direct. (note that Disney created all of the reasons against buying resale).

:earsboy: Bill

ELMC 10-25-2012 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amypetecar (Post 46542662)
Sometimes direct makes sense, but not usually.

I bought direct 2 1/2 years ago and heres why:
I wanted BLT and resale prices were only $15 or so below direct prices
BLT contracts had a 160 point minimum at first, but i wanted around 100. They lowered the minimum direct, but you couldnt find a 100 point blt resale
We made the decision to buy dvc after committing to a vacation, so we didnt have time to go through the resale process or else we would have dropped 3K on a hotel on that trip. We wanted that 3K to go towards our dvc principle.

In todays market though, unless you want to hold out for grand floridian, i would imagine resale would almost certainly be the way to go.

I think this post illustrates a great point that isn't talked about very much on here. Up until recently, the gap between direct and resale was not that large, thus making the resale/direct decision a lot more difficult. However, with the steady decline in resale prices and the enormous increases in direct prices, the decision (for many) has become a lot clearer. Buying direct a few years ago was not the same purchase as buying direct now. I think it is important to remember that and for the direct buyers of years past to consider this when people today talk about the reasons why they would not buy direct. Those discussions pertain to direct purchases in today's market, and not your direct purchase of 2+ years ago. Maybe considering this could spare some hurt feelings in the great debate. :)

DougEMG 10-25-2012 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ELMC (Post 46544467)
I think this post illustrates a great point that isn't talked about very much on here. Up until recently, the gap between direct and resale was not that large, thus making the resale/direct decision a lot more difficult. However, with the steady decline in resale prices and the enormous increases in direct prices, the decision (for many) has become a lot clearer. Buying direct a few years ago was not the same purchase as buying direct now. I think it is important to remember that and for the direct buyers of years past to consider this when people today talk about the reasons why they would not buy direct. Those discussions pertain to direct purchases in today's market, and not your direct purchase of 2+ years ago. Maybe considering this could spare some hurt feelings in the great debate. :)

Good point. It's only been in the last couple of years that the spread between direct and resale costs has become so large.

DannysMom 10-25-2012 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DougEMG

Good point. It's only been in the last couple of years that the spread between direct and resale costs has become so large.

Indeed. When I first went to a DVC presentation, in 2007, I think, one of things they commented on was how well DVC had (up until that point) held it's value, that resale prices were not so very far from from direct pricing. Early buyers, often enough made money when they sold their DVC contracts. How times change, eh?

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards App, please excuse any typos.

montrealdisneylovers 10-25-2012 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DannysMom (Post 46544721)
Indeed. When I first went to a DVC presentation, in 2007, I think, one of things they commented on was how well DVC had (up until that point) held it's value, that resale prices were not so very far from from direct pricing. Early buyers, often enough made money when they sold their DVC contracts. How times change, eh?

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards App, please excuse any typos.

I still believe that Disney is shooting itself in the foot with resale restrictions.

It seems that more people bought direct before the resale restrictions came into play and lowered the value of resales. I believe that more people would prefer to buy from Disney if the price discrepancy were not so great. I know I would prefer to deal directly with Disney for a reasonable price difference. It would also be nice to know that my "investment" would not be worth half the minute I signed on the dotted line. It is nice to know that there is a reasonable after market for your contract. Right now, it is only reasonable if you buy resale!!!

dvcterry 10-25-2012 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by montrealdisneylovers (Post 46545016)
I still believe that Disney is shooting itself in the foot with resale restrictions.

This. :thumbsup2

We have ownerships with other timeshares and when there were restrictions placed many owners defaulted. mf went through the roof and letter was sent justifying that is was due to the number of increasing members defaulting. mf continue to go up and are now more than double what i paid originally. domino effect. moral of the story, restrictions hurt everyone. period.

DannysMom 10-25-2012 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by montrealdisneylovers
...... It is nice to know that there is a reasonable after market for your contract. Right now, it is only reasonable if you buy resale!!!

This is the second biggest reason we bought resale. (The first, of course, was price.)

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards App please excuse any typos.

JaimeA 10-25-2012 03:25 PM

I bought resale. I will never do a Disney cruise (hate boats) or the ABD so why buy at a high cost to get a perk i will never use? So i bought resale. Also if I have to sell tomorrow I will not lose as much as if I bought direct. That was the biggest seller to us.
And I agree that Disney is shooting themselves in the foot with the restrictions, they are only hurting future purchasers, both direct and resale.

disneynutz 10-25-2012 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JaimeA (Post 46547021)
I bought resale. I will never do a Disney cruise (hate boats) or the ABD so why buy at a high cost to get a perk i will never use? So i bought resale. Also if I have to sell tomorrow I will not lose as much as if I bought direct. That was the biggest seller to us.
And I agree that Disney is shooting themselves in the foot with the restrictions, they are only hurting future purchasers, both direct and resale.

If the resale restrictions are causing more educated owners to buy direct, I don't see how this hurts Disney? :confused3

:earsboy: Bill