The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Welcome to the DIS (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   Proposal help (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2972594)

MrBeast 08-08-2012 05:10 PM

Proposal help

So my gf and I are taking a vacation to Disney on marathon weekend (i'm running!) in January, and i'm planning on proposing while we are there.

I've got a rough idea of what i'd like to do, but having never been there, there are just things you guys would know better than me!

My initial plan was booking a reservation at Victoria & Albertís for dinner, then going on the Grand Yacht 1 for the fireworks. (GF is fireworks obsessed, and Wishes is supposed to be amazing. After youtubing multiple videos I completely agree, it looks awesome!)
Anyway, when I called (180 days out) I was able to book the yacht, but was told due to fixed start times, that I probably wouldnít be able to make my fireworks cruise if we ate at V&As.

Onto the back-up planÖ was going to book California Grill since I hear the view is to die for during sunset, but alas... Turns out they are closing for a 6 month reno 2 days before we get there. (seriously, what are the odds?!)

I didnít have a back-up plan for the back-up plan- but now Iím thinking maybe Citricoís, a walk on the beach and onto the fireworks cruise? I just canít decide on a restaurant having never been there, and I know as soon as she sees the yacht, sheíll know something is up. Should I propose before we board and use the yacht as a follow-up surprise? Or go with my original plan and propose on the boat during wishes, even if she knows its coming?

And any input on dinner plans? This girl is the love of my life, but absolutely impossible to surprise so I just want to blow her away.

Thanks in advance!!

P.S. sorry if this isnít where this post should go- it is literally my first day on DISboards!

Metro West 08-09-2012 08:49 AM

Welcome!

jesswindsor 08-10-2012 01:18 PM

Welcome!! How exciting!!! What ever way you decide to propose it will me magical....

MickeyP 08-11-2012 05:18 PM

I would tell V&A that you plan to propose. I think they might be a little more flexible. Does V & A seat in sets of people like Cinderella's Castle, or do people trickle in. What time is the yacht cruise? Maybe....they would be flexible too. I would talk to someone higher up in restaurant management. Seriously, it doesn't hurt to ask, and if Disney is as magical as it claims, they will move a mountain to make it happen. NOT for a birthday, but for a proposal, maybe. Don't lose hope. Just update us on what they/you are doing.

NoOrdinaryPrincess 08-11-2012 06:07 PM

If fireworks is what you want, they can give you dinner on the Yacht. Your selections are a bit limited, though based on what the boat can accommodate.

ctl 08-11-2012 08:10 PM

Dinner on the yacht

Dinner on the yacht sounds like a perfect idea, if you can get it. Then you could propse during Wishes like you had planned. Or I agree that V&A might be a little flexible if you tell them about your proposal. definitely worth a try. Congratulations. I'm sure your GF will love whatever you do.pixiedust:

3happydancers 08-11-2012 09:51 PM

I don't have any advise, but...

:welcome:
And

Congradulations!

julluvsdisney 08-11-2012 10:55 PM

If it was me Id like a pre proposal dinner at narcoossees so you can watch the castle while eating then the cruise and pop the question during wishes! That would be amazing! She is VERY lucky !! Congrats Please post whatever you decide! Good luck!!!

disneyfan123 08-12-2012 06:10 PM

:welcome:

It will be so magical however you do it. I would try and call Disney to see if they had any flexibility and if not, ask them if they have any good ideas.

MrBeast 08-13-2012 09:51 AM

i will call!

Thanks for the welcome and warm-wishes everyone :) Sounds like everyone is in agreement to call Disney, so thats on the list! I went ahead and made the ADR for Citrico's, I can always cancel.

Julluvsdisney: i've heard great things about Narcoosees, but GF is allergic to seafood, and I think thats their go-to menu item right?

I'd looked at doing dinner on the yacht, but i know when she sees its for us she will know something is up. is that a problem? surprise-ruiner?

I really just want there to be an element of surprise.

MrBeast 08-13-2012 09:59 AM

time

and i forgot to mention, we are supposed to meet the yacht at the Grand Floridian docks at 7:30. I think V&As only takes 2 seatings, one at 5:30 and one at 8:30 if i remember correctly, and is supposed to be a 2.5-3hr dining experience.

MickeyP 08-13-2012 02:00 PM

If you feel you are a good enough actor, just casually walk by the yacht and say, "I wonder how much they go for", and have the captain or whoever, say, "Are ya interested? We just had a cancellation." Make it seem like it's their idea, not yours. Have her say yes, not you. Then carry on about the $$. LOL

VeeHam 08-13-2012 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MickeyP (Post 45809569)
If you feel you are a good enough actor, just casually walk by the yacht and say, "I wonder how much they go for", and have the captain or whoever, say, "Are ya interested? We just had a cancellation." Make it seem like it's their idea, not yours. Have her say yes, not you. Then carry on about the $$. LOL

I love this idea. But it could backfire if she says no. LOL Hopefully she won't. Let us know how it went.

Welcome to the Disboards and congrats! :love:

julluvsdisney 08-15-2012 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBeast
Thanks for the welcome and warm-wishes everyone :) Sounds like everyone is in agreement to call Disney, so thats on the list! I went ahead and made the ADR for Citrico's, I can always cancel.

Julluvsdisney: i've heard great things about Narcoosees, but GF is allergic to seafood, and I think thats their go-to menu item right?

I'd looked at doing dinner on the yacht, but i know when she sees its for us she will know something is up. is that a problem? surprise-ruiner?

I really just want there to be an element of surprise.

I hate seafood I always have the filet mignon yummy! Please update us on how everything goes!!

MrBeast 08-24-2012 05:09 PM

hotel

thanks for the ideas everyone! Getting the brain juice flowing!

We already have a hotel booked for the week, but I'd love to stay at the GF for the evening of our engagement. I don't mind paying for two hotel rooms, but would like to surprise her afterwards- we're staying in this beautiful hotel just the two of us! (since we will be vacationing with some friends and they are at the other location)

any ideas about how to pull this off? Can disney move our luggage from one hotel to the other while we're at dinner? Whadya think guys?