The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Cooking (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=121)
-   -   My Minnie Mouse Cakes (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2928396)

pharmama 05-18-2012 05:03 PM

My Minnie Mouse Cakes
 
Hi everyone- I'm fairly new to the DIS and have been hanging out (mostly lurking) in the DCL forum since we're going on the Dream this summer.

2 of my three DDs are having a joint b-day party tonight and I had the idea to make cakes to look like the mouse ears hats.

I'm so excited about how cute they came out that I wanted to share the pics with other Disney fans... hopefully this is a suitable forum :)

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b111/vizlvr/photo.jpg

Infamousmare 05-19-2012 03:56 PM

Those are SO CUTE! :thumbsup2

peter.scott279 05-25-2012 06:12 AM

Both are really very cute. And the mouse ear ideas are very innovative. :)

Zandy595 05-25-2012 12:23 PM

:thumbsup2 Awesome job!

pharmama 05-25-2012 11:40 PM

Thanks everyone! :goodvibes

craftymama71 06-06-2012 09:28 PM

These are so cute! Good job :thumbsup2

Reberella 06-17-2012 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pharmama (Post 44924949)
Hi everyone- I'm fairly new to the DIS and have been hanging out (mostly lurking) in the DCL forum since we're going on the Dream this summer.

2 of my three DDs are having a joint b-day party tonight and I had the idea to make cakes to look like the mouse ears hats.

I'm so excited about how cute they came out that I wanted to share the pics with other Disney fans... hopefully this is a suitable forum :)

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b111/vizlvr/photo.jpg


Those are awesome! How did you make them? I would love to try!!! :goodvibes

pharmama 06-18-2012 12:46 PM

They were actually remarkably easy. I just baked the cake in a glass mixing bowl (2.5qt Pyrex) for the nice domed shape. They also have a 9" round beneath the dome layer (would have been too short without this and my girls both wanted 2 different flavors in their cakes). Put them together with some buttercream including an outer layer.

I used Black Fondarific Fondant (bought it off Amazon- much easier to work than Wilton and tasted better too). Rolled out and lay on top. Easy! The ears are cardboard covered in the same fondant. I tried some edible materials but none of them worked very well. The kids at the party all wanted to eat the ears and were disappointed they weren't edible so I might try to figure out something else next time.

For the writing, I cheated. I have the Disney (Waltograph) font on my computer so I printed out their names the right size with that. Then I held the printout up to the cake and 'traced' it with a toothpick. Then just followed the dots with the red icing.

Obviously the bow is just real ribbon (also purchased off Amazon).

Really quite easy for the impression they made. I've made far more time consuming cakes with less impressive results! EVERY parent at the party was floored that I had made them- most started out asking where I bought them.

3AUTigerFans 06-23-2012 12:48 PM

Those are amazing!! You did a great job!

The Wise One 06-26-2012 01:26 PM

Those are awesome! So cute. I wish I were that crafty.

lovesmurfs 07-02-2012 01:22 PM

How adorable!

I wonder how covered chocolate chip cookies would work for the ears?

pharmama 07-02-2012 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovesmurfs (Post 45351979)
How adorable!

I wonder how covered chocolate chip cookies would work for the ears?

Cookies are a great idea for the ears! As long as they are pretty firm/crisp I think that would work great. Fondant is very unforgiving of lumps underneath so I might do a sugar cookie rather than chocolate chip but that's an awesome idea! If I make these cakes again I will definitely try that.

LongLiveDisney 08-13-2012 02:57 PM

Adorable cakes! Really good job. For the ears, you could use rice crispies and make them into the shape of the ears and then cover them with fondant. It stays firm and it works well. :)

pharmama 08-14-2012 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LongLiveDisney (Post 45810299)
Adorable cakes! Really good job. For the ears, you could use rice crispies and make them into the shape of the ears and then cover them with fondant. It stays firm and it works well. :)

We actually tried rice crispy treats but were not successful. I tried two different recipes/formulations (that were even for cake shaping) but couldn't get them stiff enough. Also weren't happy with how much the rice crispy lumps showed through the fondant (not enough dirty icing?).

I've watched enough Cake Boss ;) to know that crispy treats are how (at least one way) the pros do it but we were clearly doing something wrong. :confused:

The cardboard covered fondant was our last ditch 11pm attempt after the 2 failed rice crispy tries.

LongLiveDisney 08-17-2012 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pharmama

We actually tried rice crispy treats but were not successful. I tried two different recipes/formulations (that were even for cake shaping) but couldn't get them stiff enough. Also weren't happy with how much the rice crispy lumps showed through the fondant (not enough dirty icing?).

I've watched enough Cake Boss ;) to know that crispy treats are how (at least one way) the pros do it but we were clearly doing something wrong. :confused:

The cardboard covered fondant was our last ditch 11pm attempt after the 2 failed rice crispy tries.

Oh! It usually works for us but good thing you found something that worked for you. Awesome job! :goodvibes


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:47 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.