The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Rumors and News (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Yeti Gone? (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2680376)

mike the canuck 03-17-2011 08:28 AM

Yeti Gone?

http://www.laughingplace.com/Latest-ID-76866.asp

Hopefully it is a full repair

lockedoutlogic 03-17-2011 08:38 AM

I think that this is permanent. There's just no way to get that thing operational - if the reports are correct - because it has a bad structural design.

I don't see anyway you can feasibly fix a bad structure unless you peel the mountain and track back and basically spend two years redoing the foundation - which will NEVER happen.

This is fastly becoming the biggest mechanical failure in the history of WDI...and that's with doozies like test track and rocket rods on the books.

mike the canuck 03-17-2011 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic (Post 40354767)
I think that this is permanent. There's just no way to get that thing operational - if the reports are correct - because it has a bad structural design.

I don't see anyway you can feasibly fix a bad structure unless you peel the mountain and track back and basically spend two years redoing the foundation - which will NEVER happen.

This is fastly becoming the biggest mechanical failure in the history of WDI...and that's with doozies like test track and rocket rods on the books.

Oh no. That is devestating to hear. :(

anthony2k7 03-17-2011 09:34 AM

Quote:

what was wrong with test track? :confused3

Figment632 03-17-2011 09:35 AM

Big bad design job by WDI followed by extreme cheapness from TDO.

mike the canuck 03-17-2011 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Figment632 (Post 40355432)
Big bad design job by WDI followed by extreme cheapness from TDO.

I like test track. Never noticed any problems with it.

OldsDr 03-17-2011 11:07 AM

Sorry OT, but answering a question asked

Quote:

Originally Posted by anthony2k7 (Post 40355422)

From what I understand it supposed to be much more intense. I have no inside information or anything other than my gut, but I think the anti-lock brake test is big area where they had to de-tune the ride prior to opening. I know it was delayed by at leat months, nit sure if it wa years. next time you are on the ride see how much different the anti-lock Vs. non-antilock test feels. To me it is Identicle, perfect palce for a spin out in the non-antilock test. (totally speculation on my part)

Figment632 03-17-2011 12:05 PM

If you haven't seen it in A mode what is there now is a joke.

DanBoris 03-17-2011 12:27 PM

Quote:

Test Track was originally scheduled to open a little over a year after World of Motion closed. Although most of the work was done by the original opening date, the actual opening of the ride was delayed for almost 2 more years due to significant technical problems.

Dan

Figment632 03-17-2011 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike the canuck (Post 40356618)
I like test track. Never noticed any problems with it.

Im not sure what you are talking about I didnt say anything about TT.

mike the canuck 03-17-2011 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Figment632 (Post 40357959)
Im not sure what you are talking about I didnt say anything about TT.

Sorry . i thought you were talking about TT

Figment632 03-17-2011 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike the canuck (Post 40358094)
Sorry . i thought you were talking about TT

No worries but anyway TDO stands for Team Disney Orlando aka WDW management.

mike the canuck 03-17-2011 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Figment632 (Post 40358229)
No worries but anyway TDO stands for Team Disney Orlando aka WDW management.

ok. lol. Didnt know what that TDO was. good to know

mike the canuck 03-17-2011 01:09 PM

Quote:

What are the reports you are referring to?

lockedoutlogic 03-17-2011 01:29 PM

Quote:

Test Track is reportedly the most expensive amusement park ride ever...as estimates for its final construction cost are above 300 million dollars...mostly due to the numerous failures, delays, and redesigns during construction...

Not only did it open years behind schedule (though not quite to the level of the haunted mansion at disneyland)...it burns through tires, brakes, and computer systems on the individual vehicles itself.

So basically, the ride is overdesigned and the technology was never meant to handle the stress put on it as a high volume, repetitive ride system.

but to be fair, they've done an impressive job keeping it operational for 12 years now and getting as much out of it as they have.

It did erode the relationship between Disney and one of its original corporate sponsors at EPCOT -GM
But since they've made terrible, overpriced cars for decades...that probably didn't matter much anyway as far as corporate sponsorship is concerned