The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Disney Visa - any down side? (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2337357)

ajpa 11-23-2009 12:44 PM

Disney Visa - any down side?

I am wondering if getting a Disney Visa has any disadvantages?

DH doesn't like having a lot of credit cards --we only use 2, and never carry a balance. He is very wary of applying for new credit cards in general and will only consider those that have no annual fee and excellent reward programs.

Is there any downside to the Disney Visa card we should be aware of before we consider applying?

Thanks!

PrincessBetsy 11-23-2009 12:45 PM

I was wondering this same question. I'm thinking about getting one too. popcorn::

Jestocost 11-23-2009 12:50 PM

The reward element of the Disney VISA on its own is less robust than what other cards offer. My Chase BP Amoco card, for example, offered 5% back on all BP Amoco purchases and 2% on most travel purchases, whereas the Disney card offers a flat 1% back on all purchases. That's the biggest drawback, IMO.

Of course, the Disney VISA also offers periodic room discounts and other benefits that may offset some or all of that reduced reward benefit. You'll just have to kind of think that through.

The Disney VISA card itself is much cuter too.

PrincessBetsy 11-23-2009 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jestocost (Post 34443199)
The reward element of the Disney VISA on its own is less robust than what other cards offer. My Chase BP Amoco card, for example, offered 5% back on all BP Amoco purchases and 2% on most travel purchases, whereas the Disney card offers a flat 1% back on all purchases. That's the biggest drawback, IMO.

Of course, the Disney VISA also offers periodic room discounts and other benefits that may offset some or all of that reduced reward benefit. You'll just have to kind of think that through.

I love the designs for disney visa cards! :lovestruc

KellyNY 11-23-2009 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jestocost (Post 34443199)

But usually room only discount for Visa is matched for general public in couple days, I do not see advantages to havw this card, except it is cute.

EastonCat 11-23-2009 01:02 PM

We have carried this card for four years. In addition to the reward benefits, there are special character greets and other in-park periodic events for cardholders only. We find these valuable as well. Since there is no cost for the card, we saw no downside, other than some people don't like to have extra credit cards.

And yes, they're cute.

MissBritt 11-23-2009 01:04 PM

I considered getting one when we got the pre-approved app in the mail, but I don't know if it's worth it. Does the 1% reward rebate apply to any and all purchases?

marshmellow86 11-23-2009 01:07 PM

It has no annual fee. You receive 1% back on all purchases to be issued via Disney Rewards card - good at WDW and DL, in addition to disneyshopping.com. Has the typical grace period with no interest, if you pay off your balance in full each month.

I have had one since it came out. No issues.

They do offer some specials - i.e. sometimes no interest for disney cruises or vacations charged to the card. also a character photo and meet and greet in Epcot. You can sometimes also get 10% off at Disneyshopping.com.

Several card designs to choose from. My kids liked Tink - lots of people comment to my DH when he uses his Tink card! :rotfl:

Paulagrav 11-23-2009 01:10 PM

:lmao: My husband hates using Tink! But it's the only credit card we use now, so there's really no choice for him.

PrincessKsMom 11-23-2009 01:12 PM

Have they been doing anything with the interest rates lately? It is comparable to other reward cards?

bumbershoot 11-23-2009 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PrincessKsMom (Post 34443506)
Have they been doing anything with the interest rates lately? It is comparable to other reward cards?

It's a Chase card, and Chase has been messing with interest rates, most definitely.

Judy in Texas 11-23-2009 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PrincessKsMom (Post 34443506)

Just got a new disclosure. My rate is prime plus 9.9%. The discount at some of the Disney Stores does not apply to all purchases. I think it is over $50 in merchandise and certain items are not included. Movies for example.

Drusilla 11-23-2009 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Judy in Texas (Post 34444086)
Just got a new disclosure. My rate is prime plus 9.9%. The discount at some of the Disney Stores does not apply to all purchases. I think it is over $50 in merchandise and certain items are not included. Movies for example.

As long as you pay your balance off every month, interest rate doesn't matter.

The other nice thing the Disney card does offer is 6 months 0% interest for Disney vacation packages/tickets/rooms, etc. But you MUST pay off entire balance within the 6 months or Chase charges you interest for all 6 months in your 7th month. Be careful and keep an eye on the calendar!

Me!Thatswho 11-23-2009 02:23 PM

For us, the Disney Visa has more than paid for itself on our upcoming trip alone. We were able to save $700, which essentially represents our airplane tickets, thanks to the current promo discount code that is, or at least was, available. I think it was 30%, but it might have been 40%, off per night. Plus, because we "charged" the trip, it will be at 0% for the next 6 months. So, while we always pay it off when it comes due, we're actually making money because we can leave the money to cover the trip in the bank for a little while longer. Granted, it's probably only enough to buy a pack of gum, but no matter - I can use the gum to lessen the pain when my ears pop while we are making our descent into Orlando. And finally, we get the rewards dollars for using the card for the actual purchase of the trip, which means that either a meal or souvenirs are on Chase while were at the World!!

So, to sum it all up, we get: free airplane tickets, gum, & stuff in the parks! To me, it gets no better.:cool1:

bumbershoot 11-23-2009 03:14 PM

Quote:

Granted, it's probably only enough to buy a pack of gum, but no matter - I can use the gum to lessen the pain when my ears pop while we are making our descent into Orlando.
:rotfl: