The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Purchasing DVC (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   If you knew then what you know now? (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2088247)

xmas16 02-11-2009 07:42 PM

If you knew then what you know now?

As I contemplate a DVC membership I'm also wondering if any of you current DVC owners would change anything about your purchase experience ? Any tips that you can offer a prospective buyer that you didn't get when you went through the process?

Steve

DebbieB 02-11-2009 07:53 PM

I wish I would have split my 250 points into 2 contracts of 150 and 100 (150 was the min at the tim). I would like to buy at GCV but I really don't need more points. If I would have split it, I could sell the 100 and buy 100 at GCV.

stopher1 02-11-2009 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xmas16 (Post 30240350)
As I contemplate a DVC membership I'm also wondering if any of you current DVC owners would change anything about your purchase experience ? Any tips that you can offer a prospective buyer that you didn't get when you went through the process?

Steve

I would have purchased more points from the get go at my initial home resort, instead of not and then adding on later at the same resort. Adding-on at another resort is okay, but I should have just gotten what we wanted at one time.

ClarabelleCowFan 02-11-2009 08:03 PM

I would have bought in YEARS earlier. ::yes::

stopher1 02-11-2009 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClarabelleCowFan (Post 30240757)
I would have bought in YEARS earlier. ::yes::

yeah, that too... :)

wdwnut 02-11-2009 09:58 PM

Me too! I would have bought OKW in 93 (instead of waiting for BWV) and had 7 years of free passes. Then I would have just done an add-on or two at BWV.

AnnaS 02-12-2009 03:28 AM

I would have liked to have bought a few years earlier and more points the first time (and split them - which I know I would not have known even then).

We have added on once at our first home resort, then we bought at BCV and then added on again at BCV.

kaffinito 02-12-2009 06:10 AM

I wish I had known that with a little bit of pressure I could have purchased my first resort choice of OKW. I'm not unhappy with BLT mind you, but I check every day for the right resale for OKW so I can add on there. ;)

dianeschlicht 02-12-2009 06:15 AM

I would have purchased at least 5 years earlier and I would have purchased more points to begin with. We started out with a 230 point contract, and quickly discovered it was not enough, so we added a 150 point contract the next year. The good thing about doing it that way is that we ended up with smaller contracts instead of large ones. We also kept all of our points at one resort to make use more flexible. Now that we have the number of points we need, a small add on at another resort was possible.

lisah0711 02-12-2009 07:02 AM

I would have bought earlier and split my initial purchase of VWL into two smaller contracts.

Good luck with your decision!

cheezNE1 02-12-2009 07:02 AM

I would have split up into 2 different resort and not purchase the resort I have now. :wizard:

My5Mouseketeers 02-12-2009 07:17 AM

I wish I had realized that Disney sales people are still "sales people" and will lead you to believe certain things are true when they are not. I had these "Disney would not mislead " blinders on and I shouldn't have.

My Sales Rep (who is gone now) knew we had 9 people in our party (my 7 plus my parents). Legal said to me "we won't tell you that you can have 9 people in a room, but I will say that Disney does not do head counts". After we bought we learned that you can not have 9 people in a room.

We have always been able to make it work by having friends at Disney at the same time where we put one person on their reservation and then had everyone sleep with.

I am still happy we bought and the THVs/AKV/ and BLT will all work for us even better.

CarolA 02-12-2009 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xmas16 (Post 30240350)

Steve

I would still buy.

One thing that I understood when I buy that I think other's don't... DVC is NOT a democracy. It's a dictatorship. Disney has ALL the power. If you can't deal with that and think that this is like a Home Owners Association then you are not going to be happy.

My other MAIN piece of advice. Take the "complaints, whining" on here and divide by 50% and then take with a grain of salt. Remember that most folks who don't have a problem don't bother to post "my room was fine, my stay was great etc" And once again we are back to "unrealistic" expectations, for example, the word "request" means just that. It does not mean "I asked for room X and Disney should throw the other guests out to make me happy":lmao:

I did do a lot of research and knew that I could do better resale and bought via a broker for the resort I wanted....

JasonDVC 02-12-2009 07:41 AM

Aside from knowing about it and buying earlier, or finding this site before we bought, I would have used my Developer points immediately. We found out my wife was preganat shortly after buying and decided to rent our DP's uinstead of using them. My advice, get the DP's (or now they are offering a cruise) and USE THEM.

MikeNY 02-12-2009 07:48 AM

We would have bought sooner and split our points between SSR and BWV.