Work lunches and diabetes

This part of your post caught my attention. And underscores how difficult it can be for the people deciding on the food. Fruit is number one on my Doctor's list of food T2 diabetics should not eat. The only exception being apples. So while your Doctor says you can eat fruit (I assume he knows), my says I can't. And yes I cheat, but boy does it show up when I check my blood sugar,

No personal experience myself but my father was a diabetic that was in kidney failure on dialysis full time. He was allowed a decent variety of fruit, which was great as fruit was his favorite thing to eat, including some dried fruits. He just had to watch everything else, measure of course, balance things etc. He used to love eating frozen fruit as it felt like a dessert to him. ❤️

No personal experience myself but my father was a diabetic that was in kidney failure on dialysis full time. He was allowed a decent variety of fruit, which was great as fruit was his favorite thing to eat, including some dried fruits. He just had to watch everything else, measure of course, balance things etc. He used to love eating frozen fruit as it felt like a dessert to him. ❤️
I dodged a bullet there. I had a huge decline in kidney function caused by an autoimmune condition triggered by a reaction to one of my blood pressure medicines......."drug induced lupus." The low phosphorus diet recommended by my nephrologist is in total conflict with my diabetes diet. Number one on the nephrologist list of approved foods, white rice. One serving of white rice and my blood sugar spikes at about 275. I literally got my lab work today, and for the first time in 3 years, my histone level is back to "undetectable" and my kidney function is back in the normal range. 3 years ago the concern that I might need dialysis.

No my complaint is that other dietary restrictions are considered but not diabetics,
As someone with specific dietary needs and someone who plans large events, I think it's just very difficult to address the variety of needs people have, and it can get to a point where you want to plan things that don't include lunch because it's so difficult to take everyone's needs into account. I have IBD and have a lot of trouble with salads/raw vegetables and anything carbonated, among other things. Often salad bars are seen as a good option for business lunches. I end up just making a meal out of the toppings, like the chicken, eggs, or whatever, bringing a snack because I know I'll be hungry, and drinking water because I can't drink the soda, diet or not. I know my needs are specific and ultimately I have to look out for myself, and I know as someone else mentioned how expensive it can get to provide a multitude of options that cover everyone's needs. Ultimately, I think people do the best they can do cover the needs of most.

The current fad of "sugar free" options is not always the best nutritionally for a diabetic. I suggest talking to a nutritionist or dietician about options.

That is actually an OLD science. And your right, the sugar free concept is actually not the best nutritionally. Yet there are many approaches to managing diabetes.

Ive been taught it about the ratio of protein to carbs to fats to fiber.

So, for me, it's not about NO sugar, it's about eating a low amount.

I rarely eat fruit. One can get almost all the same nutrients in vegetables than higher glycemic fruits.

double up on the protein and the non starchy veggies if they have them

This. ⬆️

It does come down to personal responsibility. I know for myself I'd opt to bring my own diet soda.

Also this. Between many food allergies and dietary/health restrictions, I've learned not to expect other people to have the food choices available I need. You know the old saying, "Prepare the child for the road, not the road for the child." Try to think this way when it comes to food now. There will always be food situations that will not be ideal.

I bring my own nuts, string cheeses and proteins I need, in case there is nothing available I can eat. People sitting with me will often remark, "I wish I had brought my own hummus," when they see me eating mine. 😍

I usually drink water. With so many people carrying around their own water bottles nowadays, you can just bring your own filled with water and a lemon slice or sugar free Crystal Light packet.

Or bring your own diet soda. You can't even depend on them picking your flavor, unless you specify, "Please provide ____." For me, I don't drink caffeine later in the day. Most places that have a diet drink available, it's usually Diet Coke/Pepsi, with caffeine. Or some lethal tasting sugar-free punch.

You could also have requested your specific diet soda be made available. But, then you show up late to the lunch, and the 6 cans they had were snapped up by other people ahead of you. I've often found, when they put it off to the side for me. When I get there, the person who put it off to the side is off doing something else and no one else knows where it is. And I have to wait 10 minutes till he comes back, or for them to find the item.

Life is simpler to just bring my own specialized stuff I need. And I will always know there is something I can eat, since I am bringing it.

As someone with specific dietary needs and someone who plans large events, I think it's just very difficult to address the variety of needs people have, and it can get to a point where you want to plan things that don't include lunch because it's so difficult to take everyone's needs into account. I have IBD and have a lot of trouble with salads/raw vegetables and anything carbonated, among other things. Often salad bars are seen as a good option for business lunches. I end up just making a meal out of the toppings, like the chicken, eggs, or whatever, bringing a snack because I know I'll be hungry, and drinking water because I can't drink the soda, diet or not. I know my needs are specific and ultimately I have to look out for myself, and I know as someone else mentioned how expensive it can get to provide a multitude of options that cover everyone's needs. Ultimately, I think people do the best they can do cover the needs of most.

::yes:: I could have written this myself, due to my many food allergies and dietary/health restrictions. There could be 20 choices on a salad bar, like at Whole foods, and I can really only eat 5-6 items off it. I said in the last post, I've learned to bring my own stuff.

I actually have this exact scenario coming up in a couple weeks. I will be having a burger with bun, but no ketchup, chips, veggies and a diet coke as my employer always makes sure to have sugar free options also. If they didn't offer the diet coke option I would reach out before the event and make my concerns heard. In my state, being a diabetic is considered having a disability. As such, offering a sugar free option would be considered a reasonable accommodation.
What is your target for number of carbs per meal? An average hamburger bun is 25g. I may make some sacrifices in other meals to accommodate that meal in my day.

Diet coke is a no no for diabetics.

This is a catered affair, with only 3 drink options, loads of carbs and meats and no vegetables? What do the vegans/vegetarians eat? A meatless patty and pasta?

Sounds like an outdated catering business or an old-fashioned company ordering.

There are plenty of options nowadays to serve other things besides meat and carbs. Be creative.

Whenever we have an after work drink at the office, all the sodas we have are light sodas.

As for OP, try to lobby for more (and healthier) options. If it fails, bring your own. Preferably something that looks very tasty and eat it next to the person who ordered the food 😉

Last edited:
This part of your post caught my attention. And underscores how difficult it can be for the people deciding on the food. Fruit is number one on my Doctor's list of food T2 diabetics should not eat. The only exception being apples. So while your Doctor says you can eat fruit (I assume he knows), my says I can't. And yes I cheat, but boy does it show up when I check my blood sugar,

See, fruit was "a must" with my doctor. Mainly berries and such. Apples were high on the NO list. I crave green apples, so I do give into that more than I probably should.

That said, when I was pregnant and had gestational diabetes, there were some days all I could stomach was white toast with peanut butter and some cut up melon. And my sugars were always fantastic.

And Diet pops are also a big "no" from the doctors.

The "go to" for catering in my department is Famous Dave's. Blech on a good day.

As a diabetic vegetarian, I have to be flexible. I usually end up with a giant plate of salad and a teaspoon of mac n cheese or the like. And pop my fiber pills. And lots of water. Plus a brisk walk afterwards.

And then I have a hard boiled egg or nuts back at my desk afterwards.

Diet coke is a no no for diabetics.
I have been drinking one diet coke almost everyday for years.
Hasn't effected me at all. Doctor has never said not to.
DH drinks 4 Coke Zeros a day and his doctor never said not to.

Neither of us have stomach problems and my A1C is fine

No my complaint is that other dietary restrictions are considered but not diabetics,

And of course I could bring my own drink,
But not really great to give everyone else several drink options and tell the diabetics they can drink water.

Similar idea to me ensuring my vegan relatives have options when I host but when I go to their place it’s pasta, breads and sugar drinks. Well not the same but another little vent.
I bet they think that they have covered a diabetic's options. I think that a lot of people do not know or understand what the difference is between food restrictions and food preferences. Just reading this thread shows me that the dietary options for diabetics can differ for each individual based on their Dr's recommendations. Planning an event that allows for everyone to enjoy the meal cannot be easy. In no way am I minimizing your situation, and if I was in charge to the food for company events, I would want to cover your needs as well as the others. I will say that I woudl want some feedback from you regarding options that are friendly for your dietary needs.

And for the record I’m just a tad annoyed. It’s not a big deal. Just something I was thinking about and talking over lunch with my coworkers.
I put a bug into the ear of a friend on the social committee.

I can make adjustments to other meals, not eat the bun, etc.
Personally, I woudl volunteer to be part of teh social committee. I think that if a company is hosting a meal, they should ensure that there are options for all to enjoy. I recognize that task is next to impossible, given the specific allergies that some folks have, but if you were part of the team, you could be part of the solution.

And of course I could bring my own drink,
But not really great to give everyone else several drink options and tell the diabetics they can drink water.

Similar idea to me ensuring my vegan relatives have options when I host but when I go to their place it’s pasta, breads and sugar drinks. Well not the same but another little vent.
The part of this pot that really frosts my flakes is that part where your relatives are not accommodating you in any way. My DGD had dairy and egg allergies when she was younger. My daughter always planned for her, but in almost every situation, our relatives and friends ensured there was safe options for her. My daughter never asked, but people did this out of kindness and consideration. Ironically, her grandmother did not because she said it would be okay to "cheat" once in a while. No, it was not okay.

In your case your relatives are simply choosing to ignore your dietary needs by either serving a meal that is safe for you to eat, or by offering a few options that you can enjoy. I would either choose to decline the invitation or I would bring my own and tell them why.

See, fruit was "a must" with my doctor. Mainly berries and such. Apples were high on the NO list. I crave green apples, so I do give into that more than I probably should.

That said, when I was pregnant and had gestational diabetes, there were some days all I could stomach was white toast with peanut butter and some cut up melon. And my sugars were always fantastic.

And Diet pops are also a big "no" from the doctors.
Interesting.

I bet they think that they have covered a diabetic's options. I think that a lot of people do not know or understand what the difference is between food restrictions and food preferences. Just reading this thread shows me that the dietary options for diabetics can differ for each individual based on their Dr's recommendations. Planning an event that allows for everyone to enjoy the meal cannot be easy. In no way am I minimizing your situation, and if I was in charge to the food for company events, I would want to cover your needs as well as the others. I will say that I woudl want some feedback from you regarding options that are friendly for your dietary needs.

Personally, I woudl volunteer to be part of teh social committee. I think that if a company is hosting a meal, they should ensure that there are options for all to enjoy. I recognize that task is next to impossible, given the specific allergies that some folks have, but if you were part of the team, you could be part of the solution.
:thumbsup2Excellent advice!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter