Help me decide which day to go to MK

DVC9218

Earning My Ears
We’re going to be going to WDW late November/ Early December.

Is it better (aka less crowded) to go to MK on a day when there is an after hours Christmas party? Or is it less crowded on a day where there isn’t a party?

We won’t be staying for the after hours event

Is it better (aka less crowded) to go to MK on a day when there is an after hours Christmas party? Or is it less crowded on a day where there isn’t a party?

The MK has historically been less crowded on party days owing to the fact that guests without hopping tickets tend to avoid it. However, those with party tickets can enter the MK as early as 4 PM. This causes congestion on Main Street as day guests begin to depart following the parade and party guests begin to enter the park. From 4 PM to 6 PM, you can expect longer standby lines than during that same time on non-party days.

We never go to MK the day after a party because it is usually very crowded that day. Party days are good because they are less crowded. The day after extra late night hours is good, too.

Another issue raised by fellow disboarders is weekend crowds. I've changed one of my MK days from a Saturday to a Monday after reading another thread about Saturdays in MK being very busy. We're now heading to AK that day instead.

If you are early risers, and getting hoppers, I would target MK on a party day.
If you are planning more than one day at MK, I would target it on a party day

It's also a great MK day for dinner in that resort area, (Chef Mickey's, Ohana, or HDDR,) if you are not staying in that area. Personally, I would rope drop MK on that day, then do HDDR, then catch fireworks somewhere else, or settle into a hot tub at my resort, but that's me.

So my top picks for MK days are party days as most guests won't want to waste a ticket to be used on a day with no eve hours/fireworks. However, I don't like a party day as my only MK day since we like to have a good bit of time in MK and also be able to see some fireworks.

Also, if you're staying at a deluxe, you can also choose to do MK on a day (right now they've been on Wednesdays) when they're offering extended eve hours. Won't be the lowest crowds days if there are party days around your visit but it's a nice perk to squeeze a lot in and you'll get to see fireworks.

A bit of a trade-off. MK days with an evening party have lower crowds until about 5-6 pm when they start to build. MK days with a party also don't have fireworks and you need to leave by 7pm or so.

If you don't care about seeing the MK at night with all the lighting, or the fireworks, then party days are an excellent choice for lower crowds. Don't expect anything close to an empty park though.

Dan

Thanks everyone! I definitely think we’re going to aim for a party day then. We’ll be traveling with 3 little ones under the age of 3, so I don’t think late park nights would be in our future, ha! We would probably be leaving the park by 5ish for dinner, which sounds like it will work out well!

Thanks everyone! I definitely think we’re going to aim for a party day then. We’ll be traveling with 3 little ones under the age of 3, so I don’t think late park nights would be in our future, ha! We would probably be leaving the park by 5ish for dinner, which sounds like it will work out well!
Great choice! Our family normally chooses our MK days on party days then hop there a different evening for fireworks. Given your family makeup, a party day at the MK is a great choice to get more accomplished.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter