*** Official May 2024 Thread ***

We're back and had a great trip! The temps were high, but the first few days were more overcast and breezy so it wasn't the worst. Even on the warmest days, there was a breeze so it was bearable.

Crowds were pretty light as well. Utilizing Genie+ and a few Individual Lightening Lanes we rode pretty much every ride except for Slinky Dog and the "kiddie" rides (Dumbo, Magic Carpets...etc...). We even did a few of the headliners twice.

TRON is amazing but so short! Guardians is as good as I was hoping. I am not a Star Wars fan but Rise of the Resistance is AMAZINGLY themed.

Food was pretty spot on as well. We didn't eat a ton of quick service except for breakfast. We usually didn't really have a lunch. We just snacked mid-day and had sit down dinners. Boathouse was good as always, Maya Grill at Coronado was a surprising standout, we weren't overly impressed with Teppan Edo or The Plaza, but they were pretty good. The chicken kebab from Flower and Garden was one of our fave little bites.

The resort was just meh... Don't get me wrong, Coronado Springs is beautiful, but it really is huge and nothing was convenient except for the quiet pool outside of our room. I knew it was a large resort going in but many people said, "it's not that bad!". It was not great for us. When you're already putting in 25k steps a day, a 7-10 min walk for food or to refill your mug stinks.

Traveling home was the WORST travel day we've ever had. We were delayed by four hours, and then even longer because of storms.

BUT! When I got home I got word that I got the new position I was hoping for and an unexpected raise! Not only that but today is graduation for my BSN. What an amazing week!

All in all a great time was had by all! Can't wait for the next one!

Just got back and it was 95-98 all week. It was brutal. Didn't cool down until like 9PM
Made the best of it, but not much fun was had at the parks.
This. I'm use to the heat, and it was brutal last week. I'm sure part of that was because I was sick, but still it's the first time I've ever gone to Florida and been hot. The humidity was really bad also.

Just back. We had a great trip except for me getting deathly ill on our check out day. I honestly thought I might have to go to the hospital, a little scary. Ended up having to reschedule our flights and stay a couple of extra days. No way I could have gotten on a plane. I had a 103 fever.

Other than that, everything went great. We visited all 4 parks in 3 days. Got to do most of everything we wanted except GoG and Frozen at Epcot. I got the same return time for both which was also our dinner reservation, so couldn't do either, but I did get Remy which was a high priority for me. I've always loved that movie. Really enjoyed the ride. Our dinner at La Hacienda that night was very nice as well. Showed up at 7:30, waited 30 minutes for a window seat, and then had a lovely meal. The food was great. The service not so much. Our waiter forgot my meal! He came asking if we wanted dessert, and I was like I want my food! No apology, nothing, and our drinks were empty all meal except when I would chase him down. The views were worth it, though. I think that was my favorite nighttime show this trip. I'm not sure if I've seen it before, definitely not that version before.

By the time we got to AK on our last day, we were both exhausted, so I got Genie+. It wasn't needed if you are young and capable of staying in front of the crowd. That was not us this trip. It was so nice to not have to run around. I was really glad I got it. While everyone else was rushing off to Pandora, we enjoyed a nice break at Starbucks. Then, headed over to Pandora to ride with our ILL and Genie+. Once on FoP, I finally remembered why I don't care for it. The glasses don't fit my face, so the 3D images don't render properly. I ended up just taking them off for most of it, and that was much better. I was able to get us LL for everything else as we needed them with no need to crisscross around the park which was worth the price right there. We were so tired. I was not walking extra.

AF at MK that night was great. We managed all my top picks, and we rode Tron as well which was new to us. I had been excited about trying it since I knew it was a motorcycle, and I love Hagrids, but I did not enjoy it at all. The seating was so uncomfortable. I didn't like the big heavy pad that presses down on your back. It was really uncomfortable. I felt squished. It was nothing at all like riding a bike on Hagrids which I find super comfortable.

We ended up spending a last day in Disney Springs after I had to change our flights. I made custom MMs which I highly recommend if you get the chance. They make great presents for people back home.

So, should I save the room for all the ponchos I brought and instead fill that space with cooling towels and fans? 🤣
I broke down and bought a cooling towel. Never used one before, but I bought one this trip. I think a big part of what made it feel so much hotter is that it was hot inside as well, so you never cooled off. I read somewhere else that someone said they noticed it seemed like the air-conditioning wasn't running or barely running, and I agree. Usually, you go inside in the south, and it is freezing. This trip it was only slightly less hot inside, so your body never got a chance to cool off making it easier to become overheated. I drank so much water and Gatorade and still got dehydrated.

I broke down and bought a cooling towel. Never used one before, but I bought one this trip. I think a big part of what made it feel so much hotter is that it was hot inside as well, so you never cooled off. I read somewhere else that someone said they noticed it seemed like the air-conditioning wasn't running or barely running, and I agree. Usually, you go inside in the south, and it is freezing. This trip it was only slightly less hot inside, so your body never got a chance to cool off making it easier to become overheated. I drank so much water and Gatorade and still got dehydrated.

Thanks, that is good information for us about to head to the parks. I was trying to make some plans to "just tough through the heat until we get to XXXX ride or attraction or restaurant and get cooled off". But if that location isn't a tremendous relief, then I'll just need to budget in more frequent stops throughout.

I also decided we'll just bite the bullet and do the mid day break even from MK. It'll take some time away from our only MK day, but I think we'll be better off in the long run since I want to stay until fireworks at 9:20, and the park closes at 10. Maybe we'll even get on a ride right before 10 too.

I also decided we'll just bite the bullet and do the mid day break even from MK. It'll take some time away from our only MK day, but I think we'll be better off in the long run since I want to stay until fireworks at 9:20, and the park closes at 10. Maybe we'll even get on a ride right before 10 too.
Mid-day breaks are absolutely necessary when the "real feel" temp gets to 100+. A cool shower, a nap in a dark, cool room, it really makes a difference and helps you feel fresh for the evening.

Mid-day breaks are absolutely necessary when the "real feel" temp gets to 100+. A cool shower, a nap in a dark, cool room, it really makes a difference and helps you feel fresh for the evening.
Yes, I never go back to the hotel for mid day breaks, but we did this trip.

I think part of my problem is some new medication that makes me not run as cold as I normally do and then being sick at the end of the trip, but setting that aside, it was simply way hotter than normal. This was August heat and even then, this felt worse. I used to live in Florida. I grew up in Houston. I've lived in a number of cities on the gulf coast. I'm use to the heat, and this trip got to me. It's the first trip I ever remember being hot, like overheated hot that makes you feel sick. I think I probably drank over 10 glasses of water a day and a few Gatorades, and I still felt dehydrated. I ordered a 24 pack of water for 2 people for 3 days. We ran out, and that doesn't count, water with meals and drinks we bought in the park.

Yes, I never go back to the hotel for mid day breaks, but we did this trip.

I think part of my problem is some new medication that makes me not run as cold as I normally do and then being sick at the end of the trip, but setting that aside, it was simply way hotter than normal. This was August heat and even then, this felt worse. I used to live in Florida. I grew up in Houston. I've lived in a number of cities on the gulf coast. I'm use to the heat, and this trip got to me. It's the first trip I ever remember being hot, like overheated hot that makes you feel sick. I think I probably drank over 10 glasses of water a day and a few Gatorades, and I still felt dehydrated. I ordered a 24 pack of water for 2 people for 3 days. We ran out, and that doesn't count, water with meals and drinks we bought in the park.

Thanks for being real and honest. At this point, I'd rather just be realistic about this massive heat and be prepared to cope (breaks, buy water and gatorade in advance, bring all the cooling items) rather than get there and try to push on through.

Hello! We will be in WDW next week. This is our 4th trip, so we are pretty prepared for the heat and everything we need to bring. But this is our first time visiting since fastpass is gone. We are open to close park people. How do our days look? Thanks!

EPCOT
1) Join virtual queue for Guardians. 2) Book 1st Genie+ for Remy's. 3) Ride Soarin' or Test Track
4) Ride Remy's or Guardians. 5) Book 2nd Genie+ ride Soarin' or Test Track
5) Explore, get snack, shop, meet characters. 6) Ride Guardians. 7) Explore, shop, meet characters
8) Ride Soarin' or Test Track. 9) Book 3rd Genie+ for Spaceship Earth. 10) Explore world pavilions and shops
11) Ride Spaceship Earth. 12) Dinner at Chefs de France. 13) Moana's Journey of Water
14) Find a spot for fireworks

AK
1) Join virtual queue for Flight of Passage. 2) Book Genie+ ride Navi River Journey
3) Build avatar in Windtraders. 4) Ride Flight of Passage or Navi River Journey
5) Book 2nd Genie+ ride Safari. 6) Take Rafiki's Planet Watch Train to Conservation Station
7) Visit Petting Zoo. 8) Take Train back and ride Safari. 9) Book 3rd Genie+ ride Expedition Everest
10) Explore, have snack or lunch, shopping. 11) Ride Expedition Everest
12) Book 3rd Genie+ ride Dinosaur or Kali River Rapids
13) If cool enough, walk Maharajah Jungle Trek in Asia
14) Ride anything we missed and head home for dinner

HS
1) Join queue for Rise of Resistance. 2) Book Genie+ for Slinky Dog. 3) Ride Toy Story Mania
4) Ride Rise of Resistance or Slinky Dog. 5) Book 2nd Genie+ for Smugglers Run
6) Snack, explore, shop. 7) Ride Rise of Resistance or Slinky Dog. 8) Ride Smugglers Run
9) Book 3rd Genie+ for Star Tours. 10) Oga's Cafe. 11) Ride Star Tours
12) Book 4th Genie+ for Runaway Railway. 13) Meet characters, snack, shop
14) Ride Runaway Railway. 15) Fireworks

MK
1) Virtual queue for Seven Dwarfs. 2) Book Genie+ for Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
3) Ride Pirates of the Caribbean. 4) Ride Seven Dwarfs or BTMR
5) Join virtual queue for Tron or Genie+ for Barnstormer. 6) Ride Seven Dwarfs or BTMR
7) Ride Tron or Barnstormer. 8) Snack, shop, explore. 9) Ride Tron or Barnstormer
10) Book Genie+ for Haunted Mansion. 11) Character meets, shop, explore
12) Ride Haunted Mansion. 13) Book Genie+ for It's a small world
14) Snack, shop, character meets. 15) Ride It's a small world
16) Book Genie+ for Space Ranger Spin. 17) Ride Tea Cups. 18) Ride Space Ranger Spin
19) Space Mountain. 20) Dinner at Tony's at 8:00
21) Fireworks

Hello! We will be in WDW next week. This is our 4th trip, so we are pretty prepared for the heat and everything we need to bring. But this is our first time visiting since fastpass is gone. We are open to close park people. How do our days look? Thanks!

EPCOT
1) Join virtual queue for Guardians. 2) Book 1st Genie+ for Remy's. 3) Ride Soarin' or Test Track
5) Explore, get snack, shop, meet characters. 6) Ride Guardians. 7) Explore, shop, meet characters
8) Ride Soarin' or Test Track. 9) Book 3rd Genie+ for Spaceship Earth. 10) Explore world pavilions and shops
11) Ride Spaceship Earth. 12) Dinner at Chefs de France. 13) Moana's Journey of Water

AK
1) Join virtual queue for Flight of Passage. 2) Book Genie+ ride Navi River Journey
5) Book 2nd Genie+ ride Safari. 6) Take Rafiki's Planet Watch Train to Conservation Station
7) Visit Petting Zoo. 8) Take Train back and ride Safari. 9) Book 3rd Genie+ ride Expedition Everest

HS
1) Join queue for Rise of Resistance. 2) Book Genie+ for Slinky Dog. 3) Ride Toy Story Mania
4) Ride Rise of Resistance or Slinky Dog. 5) Book 2nd Genie+ for Smugglers Run
6) Snack, explore, shop. 7) Ride Rise of Resistance or Slinky Dog. 8) Ride Smugglers Run
9) Book 3rd Genie+ for Star Tours. 10) Oga's Cafe. 11) Ride Star Tours
12) Book 4th Genie+ for Runaway Railway. 13) Meet characters, snack, shop
14) Ride Runaway Railway. 15) Fireworks

MK
1) Virtual queue for Seven Dwarfs. 2) Book Genie+ for Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
3) Ride Pirates of the Caribbean. 4) Ride Seven Dwarfs or BTMR
5) Join virtual queue for Tron or Genie+ for Barnstormer. 6) Ride Seven Dwarfs or BTMR
7) Ride Tron or Barnstormer. 8) Snack, shop, explore. 9) Ride Tron or Barnstormer
10) Book Genie+ for Haunted Mansion. 11) Character meets, shop, explore
12) Ride Haunted Mansion. 13) Book Genie+ for It's a small world
14) Snack, shop, character meets. 15) Ride It's a small world
16) Book Genie+ for Space Ranger Spin. 17) Ride Tea Cups. 18) Ride Space Ranger Spin
19) Space Mountain. 20) Dinner at Tony's at 8:00
21) Fireworks

Flight of Passage, Rise, and 7 Dwarfs are not virtual queue.
You can pay for a single right, called ILL. Well worth it IMO, but it's up to you.

EPCOT
Expect that Remy may come back for late at night. I booked that at 7am and got a 6:30 pm time. Crowds were moderate on my date.

Soarin we easily rope dropped, and we didn't have any issues getting LL for it most of the day. I'd head to TT first if riding together is important, but be aware it can be down in the mornings, so check before you rush over. I was warned of this, and it was down for us. We rode single rider later, and that worked best as all the LL were gone early morning.

Again, probably won't be riding Remys this early, but you never know.

We didn't have any problems getting LL for Spaceship Earth at any time.

This is some backtracking. You might think about doing Moana's when you are near Soar'n or Spaceship Earth. It's just a walkthrough, so you should be able to fit it in when you have a few minutes.

If being right up front is important, you may need to stake something out early, so not sure how that fits in with your dinner plans. Also be careful of dinner plans and LL return times Remy and Rise return times if you aren't successful at 7am and have to do 1pm drop. You might be better off for lunch plans and leaving dinner open. I ended up getting my 11 Frozen LL and my Rise VQ both for 8pm which was the same as my dinner, so I couldn't do either. Just depends on how early your dinner is.

AK
NO VQ for FoP, but you can buy a ILL for it, or you can try to rope drop it. We bought the ILL, and I thought it was worth it to not have to rush and be able to take our time. I booked it for right at opening and then also got a LL for NRJ at opening. We went to Pandora first right about 8 after a break during early entry for Starbucks and waited maybe 10 minutes for NJR in standby. Then did ILL for FOP, then back to NJR for our LL.

I'm not sure about your dates, but on our recent trip, almost all of the attractions at AK, the LL were giving times back for right then, not hours later, so you wouldn't have time to go to Conservation Station and back before your LL. I'd do Safari, then go to the Conseravtaion Station.

I think if you book a LL before lunch for EE, it will give you the right time. EE was giving times slightly delayed from present but not way out.

I'd walk the trail before heading down to Dinsoaur to cut down on back tracking. You'll probably have some time to kill before your LL fr Dinosaur that would be a good time to do it after EE.

AK was a crowd level 6 our day, and honestly, the crowds weren't that bad. With planning and rushing around, we could have managed with minimal waits without Genie, but it was really nice to have it and just be able to relax. I think because you didn't really need it, it worked the best of any park giving you back close to current times. Genie was almost useless in Epcot. If it wasn't for Remy, I wouldn't have bothered. That's really the only thing we used it for where it was needed. We were able to ride everything else without waiting, or we needed LL but none were available, so it was useless.

Expect that Remy may come back for late at night. I booked that at 7am and got a 6:30 pm time. Crowds were moderate on my date.
I still want to book the Genie+ for Remy first since it may run out, correct? Can I book another genie+ reservation at 9:00 or would I have to wait until 6:30 pm or after to book another genie+ ride if I run into the same thing? Remy doesn't have ILL right?

Thanks for your detailed response! That helps a lot.

I still want to book the Genie+ for Remy first since it may run out, correct? Can I book another genie+ reservation at 9:00 or would I have to wait until 6:30 pm or after to book another genie+ ride if I run into the same thing? Remy doesn't have ILL right?

You can book another G+ ride 2 hours after park opens (or after you tap into the last booked LL).

There's another forum here with lots of tips about Genie. And so many useful youtube videos. My personal favorite is Ear Scouts.

No ILL for Remy.

The way LL works you can book your first at 7. Then, the next after you tap in for the first or 2 hours after official park opening whichever comes first, so this would be 11 at most parks. Could be 10 if a park opens at 8. Please note, it's 2 hours after regular opening, not early entry.

You have no say in what time you get back. Could be now, could be 8 hours from now, and once they are gone you can't book the ride at all. After the 2 hour after opening rule, then you can book 2 hours after the last booking or after tapping in for the last ride you booked, so if you booked a ride at 11 for a return time of 11:30 and checked in right then, you could book another. This is what we did all day at AK. We'd book ride A, tap in and immediately book ride B. By the time we finished ride A, ride B was ready. If we had some extra time, we walked the animal trails, looked in gift shops or at street entertainment. But if you book rides at 11 and get afternoon or evening return times, you'll have to wait the 2 hours to 1:00 to book another LL.

It's important to note that everyone is on the same booking schedule as you at a park like Epcot, trying for Remy at 7 and then a second headliner at 11 (usually Frozen or TT). To get any of these or other headliners at other parks, you'll need to book exactly at 7 and 11, not 11 and 30 second or 11:01. Some people are downloading the atomic world clock to another device and using that to time when they press the button. If you are even a little late, you risk not getting a headliner at all as they will sell out for the whole day. Remy sold out at 7 and the other two at 11 my day.

Remy, Frozen and TT all seem to run out by 11 from what I have read. I'd do Remy at 7. Then try for TT at 11 if Frozen doesn't interest you. TT could be available for late at night or could be sold out by then. You can always do TT single rider. The line was 85 minutes, and we got on it in about 20 minutes single rider.

This is the article that finally helped me understand how it all works.

https://touringplans.com/blog/when-can-you-book-next-genie-lightning-lane/

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter