Three Things...Gratitude Thread

Good Wednesday Morning! :wave:

I’m going to stick with board games and/or cards.

#1 - Chinese Checkers - DD20 and I used to play Chinese Checkers all the time. So many laughs while playing - good memories :goodvibes

#2 - Disney’s Scene It - Both my girls loved playing this game with me - we had so much fun! DD20 will still play it with me, but it’s more fun with more people.

#3 - 500 Rummy - Our favorite card game. DD20, DH and I enjoy playing this together. When DD20 was younger she’d wear sunglasses like the poker players on TV. I have pictures of her and I chuckle every time I look at it.

Trivia Games - Everything from the digital ones in restaurants, video ones like You Don't Know Jack, home board ones like Trivial Pursuit, to TV ones like Jeopardy.

Monopoly (and spin off games) - Traditional Monopoly has gotten us through many longer power and internet outages. We also have a holiday version called Snowmanopoly. Growing up, my brother and I also used to play a game called Solarquest.

Card Games/Bingo- This was made up the chunk of every day each time we stayed with my maternal grandparents. We'd typically play for pennies. Gin was our typical card game, but sometimes we'd go easy and play things like war and slap jack...and sometimes we'd go more challenging and they'd try to teach us things with more strategy like bridge and poker. We never really caught on, but it was good time together. Bingo is obviously less strategy, but still fun and I can still hear my grandfather's funny way of calling bingo.

Honorable mention for phone games, including Game Pidgeon. The little personal games help pass the slow times, but Game Pidgeon gives us variety and allows us to play with the kids even when we're not together. I love getting texts that DD15 has challenged me to a game of digital 8-ball or speed Scrabble.

My favorite game/play activity right now is any pretend game that my DGD comes up with! She likes to pretend to be a kitten or sometimes we are Bluey and Bingo. She used to pretend to be Elsa and I was Anna. It is such a short period of time in a child’s life and I am so lucky to be an active participant in it.

I play Solitaire on my phone every night before I go up to bed. It kind of helps me to wind down at the end of the day.

I play many word games on my phone (mostly the NYTimes group-Connections, Wordle etc.) and I play Words With Friends with a couple of people, but my favorite non-phone game is the math game 24. I like to manipulate numbers in my head as a way to keep sharp as I get older.

Honorable Mention: Duolingo. I think of it as my Spanish lesson each day, but it is also a game.

Lots of nice memories playing Uno with my kids when they were little, I used to carry around the mini sets from party favors in my bag to save us when we were stuck waiting in places.

LCR is a fun group game, also lots of nice memories from multi family trips while raising the family.

I do like Rummikub, haven't played in ages but I remember liking it a lot, I also really like Poker of all things, I don't like to gamble but I really enjoy the game itself so winning for meaningless tokens is nice but I'm not into the hostility other people project when money is in play.... those vibes freak me out.

Rummikub, 5 Crowns, Farkle, Yahtzee, etc. We have game night with our good friends about once a month and will play games until midnight. One we play often is Ticket to Ride, but I don't enjoy this at all. I am not good at strategy games.

Puzzles- both jigsaw and crossword.

The resident 7yo has made up a new game. He'll draw some random lines/curves and you have to turn them into a picture. He and DD play this all the time. She left one in his lunchbox yesterday; when she went to bed last night, he'd left his "retaliation" on her pillow. I love that they play this together. They've had a rocky start, with transitioning to a family of 3, and I love that they have found something to bond over, to laugh about and enjoy together. They wouldn't have been able to do this a year ago.

I'm grateful that DH's family plays games at holidays, etc. Lately it's LCR or Dominoes, but we go through phases.

I'm grateful for made-up math and reading games when I was teaching.

And I'm grateful for the outdoor games all the kids in my neighborhood used to play when I was young.

I really enjoyed the comments and liked seeing the classic but simple games mentioned. I liked those games growing up but also can appreciate the PlayStation/Xbox games with the amazing graphics. Just a tab better than the original Atari :D

(Mon, 5/20) - 3 breakfast things you're grateful for
1. Eggs
2. Bacon
3. Cheese

3 pieces of wise advice you're grateful to have been given
1. Put God first
2. While it wasn't directly "advice" my professor called me a "good writer" to another professor, and I took that as "keep writing." I don't do it nearly as much now, but I"m so grateful for what I"ve been able to do with my writing.
3. Pray

3 games or play-related things you are or have been been grateful for
1. iPhone apps
2. "Chronology" which is a supper fun time-line game where you have to try to guess where a given even fits among the other historical events in your hand/timeline. You start off with one card, then you're read a second card and you have to guess if it was before or after the year of your starting card. Then you have to keep fitting events between others on your time-line.
3. Stuffed animals.

I am not into games, but play? Hmmm . . .

Stuffed animals - I am a tactile person and love soft toys and pillows. Cuddleez plush are the best!

Coloring books - with colored pencils. Working on a Walt Disney World book right now

Okay, I will put solitaire on the list. It is the only game I play. I like it because it’s fast and I am only competing against myself.

I should add mahjong. I love the challenge of finding the matches and the strategy of choosing which tiles to eliminate. This and solitaire are the only online games I've ever played.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter