Just added on 300 pts at OKW direct with Disney at $135 per point thru 2057. Added magical beginnings and that reduced the price to $115 per point.

Well that would put me back more in the resale camp. Was looking at $250.
Back to resale as well.

Only recently ventured back to these boards when I got the itch for more points.

Saw this $115 okw-e deal mentioned and started a chat with a guide a few hours ago. $70 off 300 is dead. $50 off 200+ is current deal. Even with MB its still $135pp.

Oh well. Would of pulled the trigger...

Back to resale as well.

Only recently ventured back to these boards when I got the itch for more points.

Saw this $115 okw-e deal mentioned and started a chat with a guide a few hours ago. $70 off 300 is dead. $50 off 200+ is current deal. Even with MB its still $135pp.

Oh well. Would of pulled the trigger...
I suspect this means that they are doing brisk enough sales at the 200-249 price point they didn’t need to reach to offer the extra $20/pt discount, particularly as they ROFR OKW points around $70-80/pt, they can now basically double their acquisition cost.

Our guide (or now they're called counsellors?) said that they were likely going to be putting another cap on the promotion by the end the week- I guess it outsold even their expectations!
When an offer has me thinking about a direct purchase, that’s a strong offer.

New cap = no more points available at all sorry?

When an offer has me thinking about a direct purchase, that’s a strong offer.

New cap = no more points available at all sorry?
They are talking about capping the purchase at 199 points with the linked incentives staying the same for that level. I hate to even repeat this because it's complete conjecture at this point.

This all just goes to show that the only issue with direct is their greed in raising the prices on sold out resorts.

$240 for BWV… $275 for BCV….. with 17 years left…..
Truth, you'd think them being able to turn "used" points into new (with the highest profit margin) would be all over resale, but i guess it just doesn't make as much sense on their own chalkboard.

Truth, you'd think them being able to turn "used" points into new (with the highest profit margin) would be all over resale, but i guess it just doesn't make as much sense on their own chalkboard.
DVD really needs to hire a few of us as consultants. We would have bought beach club direct around $200 (admittedly before I found this board) but at $275 we went to Aulani around $170 w/incentives (no MB)— If Disney got a lot of people buying their sold out resorts around $200, even $180, they could scoop up low prices in resale profit flipping to direct, raise resale prices by 25-50% across the board, and continue making money selling higher priced direct at new resorts easier.

DVD really needs to hire a few of us as consultants. We would have bought beach club direct around $200 (admittedly before I found this board) but at $275 we went to Aulani around $170 w/incentives (no MB)— If Disney got a lot of people buying their sold out resorts around $200, even $180, they could scoop up low prices in resale profit flipping to direct, raise resale prices by 25-50% across the board, and continue making money selling higher priced direct at new resorts easier.
I think they just don’t want to have a high volume of people buying the old resorts because they want to sell out the new resorts…. it’s the only reason I can think of…..

Why else would you not ROFR every VGC under $250?

They don’t want to risk trading people from the active sales resorts, where they make a 70%-80% margin, to the sold out resorts, where they might make a 30% margin after all their transaction and carrying costs.

I would say you are a case study in why DVC shouldn’t change their strategy. 🤷‍♂️
Wish I knew how to multi-quote, but will rely to both your last two posts here:

You may be right about that, but I also bought a few hundred resale after that (instead of buying more direct). Also, Disney might not have had to discount AUL into the low $170s if they were ROFRing other resorts and AUL into the 140-160s. I took the cheapest non-restricted resort between AUL/RIV/VGF which were all in active sales and probably would have taken Disney’s price if it had been $10-15/pt higher.

Related, but responding to your other post—not sure that margin calculation makes sense if they are selling the rooms as hotels (way more profitable than a year of dues) and can ultimately sell the points for the same $$ in a few years. I do agree that strategy would make sense if the hotel bookings were weak to the point it was less profitable than selling upfront.

not sure that margin calculation makes sense if they are selling the rooms as hotels (way more profitable than a year of dues
I guess I think if Disney thought they made better money renting hotel rooms than selling DVC then they would build more hotels instead of DVCs. I think renting the rooms in the meantime is obviously a good idea, but all it does is ameliorate carrying costs. And if it’s pulling a guest who would have stayed at like Yacht Club and that YC room goes empty, than it’s not even doing that.

The margins I tossed out there are based on what’s been shared by others here, as well as a rough out I did several years ago on what they likely spent on building Riviera vs what the points would in aggregate sell for. Is it perfect? No. I think it’s directionally right though.

Wish I knew how to multi-quote, but will rely to both your last two posts here:
At the bottom of people’s posts there is a “+Quote”, if you click that on all the posts you want to respond to, they are easily accessible when you go to write your post. Right next to “Post Reply” it says “Insert quotes…” click that and all the posts you flagged are there, just “quote messages” or remove them as you want.

You can also highlight a specific section of someone’s post and you should be able to “+Quote” that smaller section instead of a whole post too.

if they are selling the rooms as hotels (way more profitable than a year of dues)
Remember that DVC doesn’t actually pay dues on the points they own, they just make up any shortfall in expenses after regular owners like us pay our dues. The more points Disney owns compared to us, the more likely there will be a shortfall that they’d have to cover. They turned WL rooms into CCV and BPK rooms into VGF and Ft. Wilderness Cabins into DVC CFW to move those operations and maintenance expenses from their responsibility to ours. Plus, if people stop traveling - e.g., after 9/11 and during Covid - owners are still responsible for maintenance and operations, whether the DVC resort rooms are full or empty.

The more points Disney owns compared to us, the more likely there will be a shortfall that they’d have to cover.
Plus, if people stop traveling - e.g., after 9/11 and during Covid - owners are still responsible for maintenance and operations, whether the DVC resort rooms are full or empty.
This is why I think a serious downturn (either in the economy generally, or number of WDW guests specifically) is the main reason we’d see DVC dramatically drop prices beyond where they currently are at RIV/AUL/VDH… as long as they get those unsold points booked as hotel rooms, there isn’t a huge need to sell DVC properties quickly… assuming their corporate balance sheet looks OK.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter